Fin Rot Or Color Change?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

OneOnion

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hello, my betta may have some fin rot. I don't know. See, I thought it was color change because of where the dark markings were, but now I'm not sure. I'll show you a picture of my betta right when I just got him, and now.

When I got him:
candycorni.png

if this pic doesnt work: http://yfrog.com/2mimg5502ej
Note how the greyness on the caudal fin is beginning to form, and small rips where the grey part is.

In between(3 months after I got him):
img5605l.jpg

The greyness has spread, but notice how it's not at the tip of the fins, where fin rot would be.

And now:
20100103283.jpg

Ripped fins. D: Doing water changes every day now.
Anyway, as you can see, he changed a lot. Since I saw him almost every day, I didn't notice the change.

So, is this fin rot, or is he just changing colors like some bettas do as they mature? If he's changing colors, will these irregular grey marks stay as they are or will he change colors completely? Thanks so much.

Absolutely gorgeous. But you see how the grey is basically "INSIDE" the tails? I think it's simply coloring. Not a color change, but just coloring. I have this too, in my red betta. In stronger lights, you can see some grey in it. It may have to do with water quality, or just simply what's in the water (since not all water is the same).
Good luck with the ripping, but I don't think the ripping and they greyness in this case have anything to do with each other. I think you're fine :)

Ah, thanks so much. I'll try my best to get his fins back to the straightness they were like before... Time to do a water change!

Try soaking his food in garlic juice! :)

And no problem, anytime!

EDIT: Oh, and also, feed food with protein in them. Protein is also great for healing fins! I've heard once, and witnessed this firsthand with my betta. I fed freezedried bloodworms, great for protein (with soaked garlic). Never healed faster. Oh, and water change. :)

I would also agree with color change, since it's not only the edge of the fins that are gray. Betta's can gain/loose coloring as they age, especially white colored finned bettas, they can change color suddenly.

you likely will not get his fins to"straigten out" as they were before. to me it looks like natural branching of the rays as the fins grow longer and longer. enjoy his ruffles. he is beautiful! i also agree 10000% it is not finrot. and the unevenness of the edges of his tail is just uneven growth (like a growth spurt in certain areas). no need for alarm whatsoever.
cheers

Yeah... It isn't as bad as I thought, but it's not that great. Oh well.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back