Fin Rot In A Tank W/ Gouramis

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Tarpan

Reaction score
Hi all, I have a 40 gal tank.

My angel appears to have fin rot so I looked up solutions and dropped in a first dosage of Melafix tonight. I admit that I quickly regretted that decision when I later read about the effects on the breathing of my Dwarf Gourami. So, I now have 2 problems that I am looking for help on.

1) I have only done 1 dosage of Melafix (20ml in a 40 gal tank). I am going to do a partial water change tonight to reduce the amount in there and then again for the next couple days to get the Melafix content reduced. Is this going to be sufficient to make sure that the Gourami is not impacted? Should I be looking to do something more dramatic?

2) What should I do about the fin rot? I have read that Bettafix (or whatever it is called) may work better as it's a difference substance, but also read that it may not be that useful for the size of my tank. What do people recommend for a community tank? I have read that perhaps a reduced Melafix solution would do the trick and be safe for the Gourami.

My ratings are all fine. The fin rot is not very far along so I am hoping to counter it quickly before it goes very far. I have already done a 20% water change prior to adding the melafix and will likely do more quickly. I've read about fin rot and am going to reduce my feedings as well.

Community:
1x Pleco
1x Dwarf Gourami
1x Angel
4x Zebra Danio
1x Sailfin Molly
1x Sailfin Platy

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hello do you have a hospitl tank? if so then you should put your angelfish in thier to give it meds for the finrot if you don't have a hospital tank then you really should put one togather ASAP. Becuase the other fish might or can be harm by meds you are giving your angelfish so if I was you I would have a hospital tank and get it set up and put the angelfish in thier. Good Luck. :)

Sadly a hospital tank is out of the question. Without going into reasons why, I am a couple weeks away from being able to get a new hospital tank as my old one has become home to a fish who was getting beaten up a bit.

So, my options at this point are to either treat the whole community or not treat at all.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back