Fin Nipping in Aquarium

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

chattylloyd

Reaction score
Hi All,

So I have had a couple of problems with my Nitrates, which I have now done a 75% water change for, however; upon doing this I noticed that two of my Swordtails (one male one female) and both of my high-finned Pepper Corys have had their fins nipped. The tank is moderately planted, so I can't easily see whether any others have been effected. The most recent additions to the tank were Harlequin Rasboras, White Cloud Minnows and Cherry Barbs.

Having looked them all up individually, it says that they can all become nippers. Is it possible that there would be a more likely culprit out of the three?

Thanks, Ryan

Shoaling fish which includes all tetras, barbs, rasboras, danios, and rainbowfishes need to be kept in a group. While sic is often suggested as minimum, having more will always be better for the fish. When these fish are kept in smaller groups, they can become aggressive. In larger groups, some fish should remain peaceful, but there are some species that tend to fin nip regardless, but those are not mentioned in your post. I have no idea how many of each species you have, but this is worth keeping in mind.

Aside from the above, swordtails can sometimes get a bit feisty. but I would not here consider two swordtails to be after one another like this.

I have 8 Rasboras, 6 Minnows and 7 Cherry Barbs.

The tank is fairly well stocked, I have around 10 corys (mix of bronze, albino and pepper), 12 (ish) neons, 3/4 glowlights, 3 swordtails, 3 platys, a female molly in my 200L tank.

Do you think I have sufficient capacity within the tank to increase their numbers and see if it stops the fin nipping?

I have 8 Rasboras, 6 Minnows and 7 Cherry Barbs.

The tank is fairly well stocked, I have around 10 corys (mix of bronze, albino and pepper), 12 (ish) neons, 3/4 glowlights, 3 swordtails, 3 platys, a female molly in my 200L tank.

Do you think I have sufficient capacity within the tank to increase their numbers and see if it stops the fin nipping?

You have not posted the tank size (dimensions length and width especially) so it is difficult to say, but you have some potentially largish fish here--the molly and the swordtails. The numbers in the groups of the shoaling species are not bad at all. Have you seen any signs of fin nipping, iu the behaviour of any of the fish?

I think the culprits could be either the Swordtails or Cherry Barbs.

The rest of your fish seem quite peaceful.

I suggest that you take time to monitor and observe which are the fish that nipped the fins of the Corydoras and remove them to other tanks or give them away.

I remember my Swordtails even attacked and nipped my Black Calvus in the past. Black Calvus is supposed to be a predator but they are very timid when they are small.
Since two of your Swordtails had their fins nipped, it could be your third Swordtail that nipped them.
Swordtails can be aggressive towards their own species especially the males.

Or it could be your Cherry Barbs since most Barbs can be nippy.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back