Filtration

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

GMazzle 83

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
hey all.
I've just set up my first canister filter, running 24 hrs now and the water is crystal, but I'm wondering how long it takes to go through the cycle? I have squeezed out the existing filter into the tank and I still have the old filter running too just in case.
Thanks.
G

Every filter is different, there's no specific time for a filter to cycle.

The best thing to do it put the media from the old filter inside the new filter. That way you move the bacteria into the new filter and you can remove the old, empty filter.
If the tank has been running some time, there will be bacteria on every sold surface as well as in the old filter. Live plants also remove ammonia, if you have any.

Every filter is different, there's no specific time for a filter to cycle.

The best thing to do it put the media from the old filter inside the new filter. That way you move the bacteria into the new filter and you can remove the old, empty filter.
If the tank has been running some time, there will be bacteria on every sold surface as well as in the old filter. Live plants also remove ammonia, if you have any.
Thanks for that @essjay
I want to get a second tank at some stage do you think I should keep the old filter running to keep it cycled?
Cheers.
G

It depends. Two possible scenarios - new filter has the same amount of media as the old filter or new filter had more media than the old.
In the first case, leaving both running means you'll have a ready cycled filter if you get a second tank. But bear in mind that after a few months, the bacteria will be spread evenly between the two filters so that when you move the old filter it won't have as many bacteria as when it was the only filter in the tank so it won't be able to support the same number of fish at the start.
Running 2 filters will increase the water flow in the tank which the fish may not appreciate. If you have sedate fish, turning down the water flow would be best for the fish if that's possible. Fast swimming fish would be OK with increased flow.

If the new filter has more media than the old, I would just put the old media into the new filter and use new media to fill the gaps. Then when you set up the second tank, take the old media out and use that in the second tank, and fill the gaps left in the new filter with the media that you left out.

It depends. Two possible scenarios - new filter has the same amount of media as the old filter or new filter had more media than the old.
In the first case, leaving both running means you'll have a ready cycled filter if you get a second tank. But bear in mind that after a few months, the bacteria will be spread evenly between the two filters so that when you move the old filter it won't have as many bacteria as when it was the only filter in the tank so it won't be able to support the same number of fish at the start.
Running 2 filters will increase the water flow in the tank which the fish may not appreciate. If you have sedate fish, turning down the water flow would be best for the fish if that's possible. Fast swimming fish would be OK with increased flow.

If the new filter has more media than the old, I would just put the old media into the new filter and use new media to fill the gaps. Then when you set up the second tank, take the old media out and use that in the second tank, and fill the gaps left in the new filter with the media that you left out.
Perfect.
Plus it will save some space in the tank if I remove the old filter.
Thanks for that great advice.
I dont suppose you know anything about water lice and how to remove it?
Cheers.
G

What kind of lice do you mean, the kind that lives in the water or in the substrate, or the kind that attach themselves to fish?

What kind of lice do you mean, the kind that lives in the water or in the substrate, or the kind that attach themselves to fish?
They are little white balls attached to the glass.
20200824_224737.jpg

They do look like cory eggs. They are not lice or anything like that if they are stuck to the glass. When did they appear?

They do look like cory eggs. They are not lice or anything like that if they are stuck to the glass. When did they appear?
I first noticed them a week ago thinking that they might be gourami eggs but I have no slate or anything they prefer to spawn on. Ill wait and see what happens.
Thanks @essjay

Cories lay eggs stuck to surfaces. Gouramis lay eggs in a bubble nest.

If they've been there a week, either they are not cory eggs (as they should have hatched by now) or they are infertile and will never hatch.

Some one else may know what they are.

Cories lay eggs stuck to surfaces. Gouramis lay eggs in a bubble nest.

If they've been there a week, either they are not cory eggs (as they should have hatched by now) or they are infertile and will never hatch.

Some one else may know what they are.
Cool
I'll post a pic later when more people get on and we will see what they say.
Cheers man.
G

They do look like cory eggs to me too. But after 1 week the gourami or the cories themselves should have snacked on them, they should have grown fungus and/ or they should have hatched as @essjay . If it turns out they are cory eggs the look infertile to me as fertile ones usually gte a brownish tinge.
If they are indeed cory eggs and nto somethign else.
Do you have shrimp in the tank? Are the eggs placed somewhere iwth high flow? These could explain hwy there is no fungus
I would also bump the cory group up to 4+ just to keep them happier

They do look like cory eggs to me too. But after 1 week the gourami or the cories themselves should have snacked on them, they should have grown fungus and/ or they should have hatched as @essjay . If it turns out they are cory eggs the look infertile to me as fertile ones usually gte a brownish tinge.
If they are indeed cory eggs and nto somethign else.
Do you have shrimp in the tank? Are the eggs placed somewhere iwth high flow? These could explain hwy there is no fungus
I would also bump the cory group up to 4+ just to keep them happier
Thanks for that.
The eggs were behind the floating plant, since I've changed filter the plant floated to the other side of the tank because of the flow from the new canister. The eggs are behind the flow outlet so they are not in direct flow from the new set up but the old filter would be sending some flow to the side where the eggs are.
I've stopped getting fish for now because I have ammonia in my tap water so I must try get this under control before I start adding new fish again. This is why I got a new filter to try to get a bigger colony of BB to see if this will take the ammonia i add to the tank doing water changes. If not I am going to ring my fish guru to see what I can do.
Cheers
G

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back