FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

sgtbirch

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
OK here goes I have a 48x18x24 aqarium~75 gallons Filters that I have
Magnum 250 -sponge,carbon and water polisher
2 powerhead 201 with canister filters- sponge,carbon
3 combo over the back filters, from mini to med size Lagest 80 gallons per min.
Possibility of another magnum 250

I dont think my magnum is powerful enough by itself. What I am looking for is a get me by and tank steup solution for maybe 2 months till I have a chance to build my own sump. I think Maybe 1 powerhaed and the magnum would be sufficient. But I would be lacking a bio filtration system then I would have to add one of the combos. Or maybe the magnum and the big combo filter w/biowheel it does about 80 gal/hr. But I am not sure how rumming 2 seperate filters for seperate reasons works. So I nned a couple of suggestions.

In setting up the 75 I plan to take the water(dirty from the cleaning) from my established 30 gallon and adding equal amounts of fresh water. Hoping for a one week setup. :look: I know it can be done. But I didnt want to move gravel but I will if necessary.

I know there are plenty of people out there smarter than I when it comes to filtering :hyper:

Dirty water will not help you. The bacteria grows on the gravel, so you will have to transfer some of the old gravel to seed the new tank.
As for the filters, sure you can run 2 different filters for the different kind of filtration your looking for. I run a Seastorm Fluidized bed for my chemical, and a Floval canister for my machanical filtration in a 40 gallon tank. Works great.

Ok but you realize that both filters are underpowered. My magnum is dor a 55 and my combos are for a 30. My tankis a 75. While the chemical and mechanical are good what about the bio filter. techinically its only desinged for a 30.

if you dont wanna buy a whole seperate filter system.. why not just buy the biowheel separate to add to the magnum? I just got my magnum 350 w/biowheel, it wouldnt be hard for you to set up the biowheel, and it would be cheaper, and depending on your fish in the tank, I would think it would be enough until you get your sump finished... I am a noob.. so, take my advice with that in consideration :rolleyes:

I check into it but the biowheel fits the 220 and the 350 but I dont think it fits my 250 as it is a little older, but if it would work that would be the answer. Thanks though.
steve

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back