Filter

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Lozzyleigh

Reaction score
Hi all just a question on filters I have recently been gifted a juwel trigon corner tank 190lt it came with no filter I have been looking at the one that would of came with the tank if bought new but there are quite a few bad reviews I would like to use an external filter but I have no idea on which one would be suitable for the tank I have also seen a few people say that you have to cut holes in the top to make an external filter fit any advise would be much appreciated thanks

HOB (hang on back) filters are usually better for larger tanks. Seachem Tidal is an excellent line of HOB filters. I would suggest getting 2, considering how large your tanks are.

Internal filters are usually best for smaller tanks, but a Fluval U4 might work well.

If you were looking into a HOB filter, AquaClear would be a good choice! For your tank size I would get 2 AquaClear 50’s or 70s. A benefit of 2 filters on a larger tank like that is if one fails, you have that backup already cycled And running

HOB (hang on back) filters are usually better for larger tanks. Seachem Tidal is an excellent line of HOB filters. I would suggest getting 2, considering how large your tanks are.

Internal filters are usually best for smaller tanks, but a Fluval U4 might work well.
Thankyou so much for taking the time to reply to my thread but I’m looking more for an external one that can be stored in the fish tanks cabinet such as the fluval 207

If you were looking into a HOB filter, AquaClear would be a good choice! For your tank size I would get 2 AquaClear 50’s or 70s. A benefit of 2 filters on a larger tank like that is if one fails, you have that backup already cycled And running
Thankyou for taking the time to give advise I’m looking more for an external one that can be stored under the fish tank in its cabinet

Thankyou for taking the time to give advise I’m looking more for an external one that can be stored under the fish tank in its cabinet
Ohhhhhhh ok! Searching for a Canister filter may bring up better results. I have never had a canister filter, so I can’t recommend any good ones unfortunately. Good luck finding a nice one!

Thankyou so much for taking the time to reply to my thread but I’m looking more for an external one that can be stored in the fish tanks cabinet such as the fluval 207
Oh, so you’re looking for a canister filter. My bad! I misread your first post.

The Fluval line of canister filters are really good. I’m pretty sure @AquaBarb haw one, so maybe he can give you specifics. :good:

Oh, so you’re looking for a canister filter. My bad! I misread your first post.

The Fluval line of canister filters are really good. I’m pretty sure @AquaBarb haw one, so maybe he can give you specifics. :good:
Sorry that’s my fault for not knowing the proper terminology ? iv only ever had small tanks so I’m not too clued up on the bigger types of filters Thankyou again for you time

Ohhhhhhh ok! Searching for a Canister filter may bring up better results. I have never had a canister filter, so I can’t recommend any good ones unfortunately. Good luck finding a nice one!
Thankyou for your time ?

Sorry that’s my fault for not knowing the proper terminology
You actually used the correct terminology :) Those filters which go under the tank are called externals in the UK and canisters in the US. Same filters, different names.

Does the Trigon have the cut outs in the back of the trim like the Rio 125 had when I owned one? Though they may not be big enough for the tubing from an external filter. The flaps of the lid on my old Rio were soft enough to cut to make the holes bigger.
But as I've never had an external, I can't give any suggestions on which filter from my experience. I know that Fluval and Eheim filters are considered the best, though pricey.

Thankyou for your time there are Only two cut outs that are just about big enough for a wire but there’s a small triangle gap in the back corner the flaps are quite flimsy so i guess they would be quite easy to cut Thankyou again

Hi all just a question on filters I have recently been gifted a juwel trigon corner tank 190lt it came with no filter I have been looking at the one that would of came with the tank if bought new but there are quite a few bad reviews I would like to use an external filter but I have no idea on which one would be suitable for the tank I have also seen a few people say that you have to cut holes in the top to make an external filter fit any advise would be much appreciated thanks

I've just installed the Oase Biomaster therm, it's brilliant.
didn't need to modify anything to get the pipework in as there were slots for the cables to the internal filter which I could use. If I had need to modify I would have made small modifications to the lid.

I used a fluval 4 series on my Roma 200 which did a great job.

Cutting holes to fit the pipes does depend on your tank. I did have to cut my Roma lid but my Jewel as purpose built grooves at the back which is great :)

I was considering the Fluval 307 but decided having the heater in the cannister was a better idea on a smaller tank.
The prefilter is brilliant, I did my first clean this week and the internal sponges were pretty much spotless, so maintenance is going to be so much easier.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back