Filter?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

jpeterson

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I was wondering if i should have my filter outlet under the water or i should have it above the water level so that the water goes out then back into the tank. When i have it out of the water the tank fills with lots of oxygen bubbles which i think is cool. However, the fish seem to like swimming towards the current in the tank when the filter is under the water but i am scared the current might be too strong for them. Any ideas?

I was wondering if i should have my filter outlet under the water or i should have it above the water level so that the water goes out then back into the tank. When i have it out of the water the tank fills with lots of oxygen bubbles which i think is cool. However, the fish seem to like swimming towards the current in the tank when the filter is under the water but i am scared the current might be too strong for them. Any ideas?
Depends on your fish really, ideally for optimum reoxygenation then the stream should 'ripple' the surface to maximise the redissolved oxygen ( a good mature filter will deplete the discharge water of O2)
I run my filter outlets just above the water level so there is a waterfall effect, but when I had several discus tanks they preffered it with a dissipated flow so they were not in turbulent water.
Best to find what works best for your fish really.

Ummm yeah. Well the neons started to go funny so i just done a 20% water change. They were like being dosey what could it be?

I have found that even a Betta splendens is likely to play in the flow of a filter return. Bettas are widely known as "fish that love a stagnant tank" but my own experience with them is that they can and do learn to deal with flow. Once they do learn to deal with it, by becoming stronger swimmers, they delight in the filter return. Instead of worrying about the fish's reputation for this or that flow, try watching your fish. If they are happy to play in the filter flow, there is no reason to change it. The fish reactions are the best possible indicator you have about their personal preferences. Forget anything you have read here, with my experiences, or elsewhere. Your fish will know when they are happy.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back