filter sucking fish up

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

angel_eyes0857

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
help!!
is there anything i can do (without being costly or buying new filter)
my neon tetra was caught in my filter a couple days ago!!! he was the one that was looking a bit sick...?
i bought a couple more.
this morning i woke up and realized that another one (the one that i think transferred ick into my tank) was caught in the filter...upside down, dead...

:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

When I had molly fry, I tied a small piece of nylon pantyhose over the bottom part of the filter. Maybe this would also work with your larger fish.

Pantyhose!! Yes!! Works like a charm. Also, can you reduce the flow through the filter?? If you feel comfortable you could cut down the blades on the impeller to reduce the flow. You must be careful doing this though and take off an equal amount on each blade or it will become lop-sided and not work right anymore. What kind a filter is it?

i might try the pantyhose thing but won't that not make the filter suck everything up??? casue pantyhose have very small holes right that you can barely even see. my big fish have no problem with it and my first neons have no problem either. its always the ones that have a sick look to them. last night 1 of the neons was covered in weird looking stuff possibly ick and that is the neon that was killed in the filter this morning. so i figure maybe they are sick and just weak when they swim near it. i haev a dynaflo 10 filter so it doesnt have a control or propellers.
thanks for your help i'll figure something out

It will still filter with the pantyhose and also make the suction a bit less strong.. and if it does manage to suck them in, they may be more able to get away from the pantyhose than the stronger sucking pieces of plastic.

I take a more porus sponge and slip that over. I was going that in my fry tank, it it worked very well. the holes were big enough to let smaller particles through, and then then sponge trapped some bigger stuff.

thanks
the two neons that i have are still doing fine. it always seems that the "sick looking" oens... get sucked up. maybe they are too weak to swim near the filter. cause it really isnt that strong at sucking stuff up..
the first neon tetra that went up was sick and the second one was the cause of the ick that is in my tank right now... he was sick.. so thats probably why but i will probably doing the pantyhose thing
thanks

well if its only the sick ones, it seems your filter is a catalyst for evolution!

so there's a bright side to everything. :)

yup, so far so good with the other two neons, the two black neons and the 2 rainbow neons.. so :D

yeah i would say they were probably dead before they got stuck to the filter intake. Most of my smaller fish end up against the filter when they die.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back