Filter set up

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

EMdina

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all,
I am setting up a fowlr marine tank in a 46gal bowfront. I have begun cycling the tank(not new to fishkeeping just salties)...fishless, of course.... :)
My question(s) is this: I am running a Fluval Canister filter (can't remember the number, it's the 220gal/hr one) and was just given a magnum 330...is it a good idea to run both- assuming that the more movement the better? and what is the best way to run them- both with bio media in them, one with/one without, etc...since I am not doing a reef tank will I need a protein skimmer....
I've been reading and reading and have lots of info...but these are specific questions that I can't find answers to...
I appreciate all and any info anyone can give regarding this filter situation...it just seems like to run both that my tank will levitate off of the ground... :blink: but I was told it would be good to run the second one so that the return blew behind the LR....
anyhoo, TIA...
Ericka

Movement behind the rock is a necessity ... one which I lack but plan to do somehting about soon perhaps. But you need to tell us about your tank. Rock to me suggests live rock. What about sand? Other inhabitants? Cannister filters are generally not the way to go if you want a reef tank ... nitrate factories they are.

I'm doing a fish only with some live rock...I am using crushed coral as my substrate...the tank has been cycling for about 4 weeks right now (without fish), I am adding some live rock (it's cured) on friday...I am not doing a reef tank...I want to start out small and eventually build to the more intricate workings of the marine world...
What about the canister makes it a nitrate factory...is it the media inside?

Are you adding FULLY cured Live Rock??
If not your tank will take longer in the cycle process. You will have to wait longer to add fish.
It would have been ideal to add the live rock at the beginning when you set the tank up.
I ran a 60 gallon FOWLR with a Magnum 350 pro and a Emperor 400 for 9 months. I know it wasn't
the best filter system for it but it worked great and I never had any problems. In fact I sold that tank to my friend
and he is still running it with just the Magnum. The tank still looks good and clear and the fish are vary happy.

yeah the rock is cured...I made sure to ask the LFS where I'm getting it if it was cured or uncured, for the reason you mentioned...and I'm not in a real hurry to add fish....I'm having fun just getting it all put together....I drag the family to fish stores each weekend to see what they carry and what I think I might want to put in the tank...and that's kept me satisfied for the time being....I'm sure I'll get antsy pretty soon... ;)
thanks for the insight on the filter...I have to try and make these filters work...they were both given to me (new in the box) and I really don't want to seem ungrateful by turning my nose up at them....
thanks again...
Ericka

The surface inside the boxes and the media pads themselves are nitrate farms and phosphate collectors. When I disconnected my Filstar from my 75G reef, the hair algae and green algae on glass declined precipitously. For a FO tank you should be fine, but if you start adding inverts you might want to disconnect.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back