filter screens to shrimp proof

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

finfayce

Fish Addict
Reaction score
hi
my tanks have internal filters. the tank that i had hoped to use to keep a few freshwater shrimp has a Cascade 600. the filter screens for sale are for cylindrical tubes.
not sure if that filter would even function properly with a mesh covering?
i could use an algae eater in that tank.
should i ( in addition to regular cleaning)
use my pleco or large amano shrimp?
my local- and only pet store in this area- petco doesn’t have either amano or any freshwater shrimp in stock. their shipment never came in this week. they don’t carry filter mesh screens.
i tend to let my OCD get stuck on an idea😞
be honest- should i just forget the shrimp idea completely just because i don’t have the proper set up. and too expensive re-do the tank to be shrimp safe.
thanks.

Hi there :)
Depends on shrimp size but you could use a small piece of well extended (women) thin stockings fixed with an elestic band. It works nicely.

Hi there :)
Depends on shrimp size but you could use a small piece of well extended (women) thin stockings fixed with an elestic band. It works nicely.
ok thanks. might work. :)

I mean this post does not explain the tank size m, water parameters or tank mates.

So without that crucial information I would advise that it is probably OK (IE women mesh)

umm- probably too well
i mean like rags in a box ya know?
i put it on the outside of filter with RubberBand and it works! i poked some holes in it since yeah it does work wayy to well

Besides wider mesh tights, we have things called kettles here in Blighty and most, if not all, come with a filtering mesh, covering the inside of the spout.
Whilst intended to filter out any limestone deposits from hard water areas, they also work a treat for filtering filter intakes.

Not "might" or "probably". It DOES WORK :) even shrimp larvae aren't sucked in.

I mean this post does not explain the tank size m, water parameters or tank mates.

So without that crucial information I would advise that it is probably OK (IE women mesh)
hi- the tank is 30 gallon high, there are3 rainbow darters adult size will be 2-21/2”, 3 least darters- adult size 1 1/2” and one blue spotted sunfish 3yrs old mature size 2 1/2”.

hi- the tank is 30 gallon high, there are3 rainbow darters adult size will be 2-21/2”, 3 least darters- adult size 1 1/2” and one blue spotted sunfish 3yrs old mature size 2 1/2”.
i ordered 2 large amano shrimp and a sponge filter. haven’t seen the red cherry shrimp for awhile :(

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back