Filter Recommendations

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Gingersnap

Reaction score
I have a 40g tank in my bedroom and I currently have a Aquatech 30-60 double filter. It's very noisy, and it's making it hard for me to sleep at night. I just tried the QuietFlow 50 and was extremely disappointed on how loud it was. I cannot stand to hear the trickle of water when trying to sleep. Can someone please recommend me a quite filter?

Cannister filters can blow the water in underneath the water line either by having the tank full enough of by inserting the proper sized tube into the water return pipe and directing the flow. A good cannister filter is not cheap, but in my opinion a must have for a large tank.

I have also read about a bio-wheel filter that I think is completely submerged. I am not knowledge on such filters so have no idea if they are even good enough for a big tank.

With either of these options you will require an air bubbler with enough output to cause a disturbance and at least a slight ripple effect to the top of the water to assist in oxegen exchange.

Which brings to a third option, a more primitive air bubbler sponge filter.

Given that your current filters are noisy, and you wish to subdue the "splashing" sound, and the fact that your aquarium is quite large, I would suggest a good cannister filter, and as long as your aquarium isn't actually in your bedroom the hum of an air bubbler shouldn't be too much of a problem.

I am no expert and I am sure there are alot more knowledge people here than I, so others will surely chime in, but my 2 cents is worth every penny for a quick answer to get you thinking about it and spark more questions.

Air stones are unnecessary, just ensure there is a little surface agitation to aid gaseous exchange by positioning the filter outlet so that there are a few gentle ripples at the surface.

Most external filters are pretty much silent - obviously you get what you pay for, the fluval filters are terrible except the FX range. Personally I recommend Tetratec and Eheim filters, just avoid the Eheim filters with built in heaters.

I have a fluval FX6, fluval 306, fluval U4 and eheim classic 600 - 2217. All are excellent and do a great job in my experience. It just depends on what your particular needs are. For example, my FX6 is in my mbuna tank - they love high flow rates and need heavy filtration. My eheim is in my axolotl tank - axies are very sensitive to water movement so the spray bar is aimed at the glass to reduce the risk of them getting pushed around too much.The fluval U4 is an internal filter and is absolutely silent - if it weren't for the plants being moved around, I wouldn't even know it was on.

If you are hearing splashing you probably need more water.

My 30 60 on my 40 just has a humming noise from the motor.

Hi Ginger... if you want stay with a hang on the back filter, I've been pretty happy with Aquaclear and an Aquaclear 50 should work well on your tank.

As Toney mentioned make sure you have enough water in the tank to prevent a large "water fall".

If you are truly after silence, canister is your best bet and for that I would suggest you take a look at the API Filstars. I have 4 Filstars and have nothing but praise. They are very easy to start, super quiet, have some nice features like adjustable spray bar flow controls, easy to clean and maintain, are efficient and last but not least reasonably priced if you are patient and look around.

What's the right filter is one of, if not the, most debated questions in fish keeping - so you will find a lot of options and many opinions.

The filters I have mentioned have been excellent for me in my fish keeping.

Most reactions

trending

Back