Filter Questions.... :)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

MrsM

Fishaholic
Reaction score
hi all :hi:

i was recommended to get a new filter my current filter is an aqua one 320, it is an internal filter with 4 compartments, they are...ceramic,sponge, carbon and the motor.

im just looking on ebay for a new one that filters more water per hour(as recommended) only most of them are just sponge filters....is there a big difference to having a filter with all different media, to having a filter that just has sponge?

In general it doesn't matter what's in there so long as there is plenty of surface area for the bacteria to populate. This is why ceramic rings and noodles are so popular.

Regarding your current set up ou don't need carbon unless you trying to remove meds from the water.

Bear in mind you need to put as much of your current filter media in the new filter to prevent the tank from cycling again or run both filters.

The issue with running both filters is that they will effectively end up with around half the bacteria each and when you eventually remove the old old the new one will take a while to catch up.

You can cram pretty much anything into any filter so long as it doesn't restrict flow too much.

Also, just be aware that particularly on the cheap filters the flow rate advertised isn't what you'll get in practice and if you're going to buy a new one perhaps take the plunge and go external.

This way you'll have loads of space for your existing media and some new...

Cheers

Danny B

I find sponge filters are difficult to transfer mature media to so would not personally suggest one in a stocked tank (no matter how lightly), i also find their mechanical filtration is not up to the same standards as others, i assume this is mostly due to very low flow rates which will not benefit biological filtration either. Ever considered an external? You would not regret it.

i was hoping someone would say "go external" ill look into it...

danybegoode i had to have carbon in my filter,i was removing meds,toxins and had an on going situation so it helped :good: but it is going to be removed as ive now run it for a few weeks,its usless anyway....im going to fill that canister with poly wool, i seem to have floating debris constantly! :sad:....it will clear that right?? ive only recently learnt how to gravel clean properly too..**slaps forehead** learning the hard way is the way to go it seems!

I find sponge filters are difficult to transfer mature media to so would not personally suggest one in a stocked tank (no matter how lightly), i also find their mechanical filtration is not up to the same standards as others, i assume this is mostly due to very low flow rates which will not benefit biological filtration either. Ever considered an external? You would not regret it.

If you've got the spare money and space go external and you won't regret it, in my opinion they are quieter, give you more room in the tank to scape with, and have way more surface area for bacteria to colonise making for water clear enough you'd consider drinking it :p

ive been googling! :good: think once xmas is out of the way im getting an external...i am going to need talking through moving the media over though, so dont abandon me in the new year haha.

External is the way to go. I recently bought a JBL E700. My water is crystal clear, the flow is amazing and it looks so much better in my tank.

I cleaned it for the first time last weekend, I couldnt believe how dirty is was inside. It cleans soooo well!

i agree an external filter is the way to go on most tanks,

but having said that, the ONLY filter media i use in my filters is sponge/foam, there really is no reason to use charcoal, if a filter has a compartment for a sponge/foam and another compartment for charcoal, you are better off just using TWO sponges/foams and skip the charcoal,

i use mostly "aqua clear" filters with 2 sponge/foam inserts,

i do use internal sponge filters in addition to my external filters, they are very cheap, yet very effective, my tanks are all very large though,

if you have a very small tank (under 20 gallons) then you could filter the entire tank using one internal sponge filter, sponge filters require very little maintanance, they are cheap, and very effective, most people dont give them enough credit,

when you replace your filter you are going to have to keep the old one running for quite some time (with the new one) until your bacteria starts in the new filter,

I has three tanks, all are over filtered. I has two moving bed filters that I made out of water bottles that use cut up straws as the media, and in my 37 gallon, i has a hang on back filter that I modified and I has aboot ten peices of bamboo growing in it, as well as two powerhead filters that I made, one using filter floss, and the other using fluval ceramic discs. Both work great..

Do some youtubers and see how to make an external.. for my next tank I am going to build my own tower filter..

Diy filters? Hmmmmm possibly a cheaper option, ill you tube! :) thanks

Diy filters? Hmmmmm possibly a cheaper option, ill you tube!
smile.png
thanks

oh yeah, dyi filters are the way to go..

I'll look forward to the PM in the new year for a 'How to' guide on changing filters
whistling.gif
hey you!!! Missed ya being around, glad to see you back, you must be feeling better! And yes i can feel a "how do i do this message coming on!" Haha

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back