Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Filter question on tank with red cherry shrimp and pygmy corydoras

Discussion in 'Shrimps & Other Invertebrates' started by Linda N, Apr 23, 2019.

1. Linda N

Linda N New Member

I recently moved all of the fish from a 10 gallon half moon tank to a 20 gallon tank so they would have more room. I then moved some pygmy cory's and red cherry shrimp that were in a 3.5 gallon tank into the 10 gallon tank. It has several pieces of cholla wood, which is hollow and has lots of holes in it and provides a ton of hiding spaces along with a lot of plants and added aeration from a long airstone buried underneath the gravel. The tank is a half round shape. They have so many hiding spaces I hardly ever see the shrimp or the corys - LOL. Presently the tank has an undergravel filter that's been in there from the beginning - probably 8 months - and a HOB filter. I change out half or more of the water every week and my ammonia and nitrites stay at zero and some low level nitrates which is dealt with through the water changes. I have a sponge filter I could put in there in place of the HOB filter if that would be better for the shrimp and for any shrimp babies that might be produced. There's about half a dozen each of red cherry shrimp and pygmy corys in the tank, along with some pond snails that must have come with the plants and a pretty good sized nerite snail. If the shrimp have babies, will the cory cats eat them? They are pretty tiny - the pygmy variety and are an inch or smaller. I would love to see some baby shrimp but want to provide a safe environment for them. Thanks for any and all information.

2. Byron

Byron Member

The sponge filter is your best bet here. They are usually the filter in shrimp tanks, and the cories will have no issues either. My 10g which is home to a group of spawning pygmy cories has a single sponge filter.

Substrate has some issues though. Cories should have sand, and the pygmy species must have sand. I would remove the undergravel filter and the gravel. Play sand works very well, or you can look at one of the inert aquarium sands in a dark colour.

All cories naturally feed on crustaceans were these occur in their habitats, but I am not sure the pygmies would be too successful at this, though the baby shrimp might get eaten if a cory came upon one.

3. Deanasue

Deanasue Fish Herder
    Tank of the Month Winner!

I use HOB’s in my shrimp tank with a panty hose covering the intake. Only reason is because I have like a dozen hob’s In storage. If I didn’t I’d use a sponge filter.

4. Linda N

Linda N New Member

Thanks for the input. The shrimp and corys have only been in that tank maybe ten days and there's a few endlers in there that I forgot about. I'll switch to a sand substrate, remove the undergravel filter and put the sponge filter in. I'll leave the HOB filter until the sponge filter has had time to develop beneficial bacteria since I'll be removing the gravel and any bacteria living in it. Does the wood I have in there harbor any beneficial bacteria in any meaningful numbers? I appreciate the advice. I want these guys to be happy and comfortable.

5. Byron

Byron Member

Yes, the wood does harbour bacteria of various species, as would any surfaces like plant leaves. Your plan above sounds perfect. The plants themselves will take up ammonia/ammonium anyway, but no harm in over-caution.

• Agree Agree x 1