Filter or not?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Meg0000

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hi, I would like to know if It's better to remove my filter on my 10g at this point. It's an interal filter but I stopped it about a month ago because of the sound. I only have 8 ember tetras and 2 small shrimps with a bunch of plants. The thing is I don't know if the bacteria are still alive and doing something in my filter. Can I just simply remove it, should I start it back, if so I have a cascade filter that I prefer so I would change it with this but what do I do with the biomedia?

Afraid a filter is pretty much essential as it does two important jobs, one is to create flow inside the tank water, and second is to deal with the ammonia bioload which is dealt with by the BB thats inside the tank and the filter itself and the flow makes this possible and more efficient.

As you have another filter, a cascade filter which I presume to mean a hang on back filter, this is perfect really, all you have to do is to move the filter media from the old to the new filter, cut up the sponge media if you have to, to make it fit inside the new filter.

Am sure the bacteria are still alive as long as its been kept in the water all the time, I have a good guess its ok as you say that you have shrimps, these are sensitive to water parameters and they would be the first ones to show signs of anything wrong with the water.

Afraid a filter is pretty much essential as it does two important jobs, one is to create flow inside the tank water, and second is to deal with the ammonia bioload which is dealt with by the BB thats inside the tank and the filter itself and the flow makes this possible and more efficient.

As you have another filter, a cascade filter which I presume to mean a hang on back filter, this is perfect really, all you have to do is to move the filter media from the old to the new filter, cut up the sponge media if you have to, to make it fit inside the new filter.

Am sure the bacteria are still alive as long as its been kept in the water all the time, I have a good guess its ok as you say that you have shrimps, these are sensitive to water parameters and they would be the first ones to show signs of anything wrong with the water.
Ok thank you, I just changed the filter!

I ran a 10g tank for over a year with no filter. You mention plants, and while I have no idea which species nor how many, chances are they are removing you ammonia anyway, not the bacteria in the filter. The filter's only benefit here is water movement, and you want that minimal for the Ember Tetra. I do not know the external filter you are now using, but it may be more detriment than benefit. Eight Embers in a 10g with some fast growing plants will never have issues.

I added an internal single sponge to my 10g just to have clearer water. The plants made it clean.

I ran a 10g tank for over a year with no filter. You mention plants, and while I have no idea which species nor how many, chances are they are removing you ammonia anyway, not the bacteria in the filter. The filter's only benefit here is water movement, and you want that minimal for the Ember Tetra. I do not know the external filter you are now using, but it may be more detriment than benefit. Eight Embers in a 10g with some fast growing plants will never have issues.

I added an internal single sponge to my 10g just to have clearer water. The plants made it clean.
I have some fast growing plants so I guess it would be fine, they seem to be strugling a little bit agains the current

I have some fast growing plants so I guess it would be fine, they seem to be strugling a little bit agains the current

You don't want that. The filter is running 24/7 so the fish have no respite, and in such a small space finding "quiet" spots can be impossible. Their metabolism is in high gear and they will burn out faster. I have sponge filters in my 10g, 20g and 29g tanks.

What are your readings for ammonia, nitrIte, and nitrAte, using a liquid test kit?

they seem to be strugling a little bit agains the current
This is not good for fish if they’re struggling against too much flow, they’ll get stressed and too tired and that will lead to illnesses and possibly fatalities at some point fairly soon.

I would advise you to either turn the filter flow down, some filters have adjustment knob or controls to alter the flow so if this is possible then do this.

If not possible then you may want to add something to the filter to slow the flow, diy baffles with sponge or redirecting flow to back of tank is possible.

If not then would advise you to consider getting a simple sponge filter, this is perfectly fine to use, as Byron already mentions, he uses this for some of his tanks. Not expensive to purchase, an air pump and air line will be all you need to power a sponge filter.

Very straightforward to set up and run.

You don't want that. The filter is running 24/7 so the fish have no respite, and in such a small space finding "quiet" spots can be impossible. Their metabolism is in high gear and they will burn out faster. I have sponge filters in my 10g, 20g and 29g tanks.
The are a lot of spots where they can rest because of the way I arranged it. I don't mind the water not being crystal clear so I think it would work without a filter. Sponge filterd are too noisy for my bedroom also

Hi, I would like to know if It's better to remove my filter on my 10g at this point. It's an interal filter but I stopped it about a month ago because of the sound. I only have 8 ember tetras and 2 small shrimps with a bunch of plants. The thing is I don't know if the bacteria are still alive and doing something in my filter. Can I just simply remove it, should I start it back, if so I have a cascade filter that I prefer so I would change it with this but what do I do with the biomedia?
Either plant filtration, or you need a filter.

I want to start with an indoor aquarium. I tried researching some fish that might fit into my tank, and soon I read an article about some fish that can live without a filter. I picked up some guppies and some scarlet Badis and did regular water changes to clean the aquarium water to their liking. And, of course, they are very healthy.

I want to start with an indoor aquarium. I tried researching some fish that might fit into my tank, and soon I read an article about some fish that can live without a filter. I picked up some guppies and some scarlet Badis and did regular water changes to clean the aquarium water to their liking. And, of course, they are very healthy.
Some fish for tanks without filters can be mentioned as bettas, sparkling gourami, scarlet badis, guppies,..

Most reactions

trending

Back