Filter options with Trigon 350

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

st3f

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm upgrading from a 180 litre tank to a Trigon 350 I just bought on ebay. On my 180 I currently have an APS 1000EF filter, which appears to have served me pretty well for the last two years.

I was slightly surprised to find that the filters that came (and were used) with the Trigon 350 were an Aqua Zonic Aqua Pro 800 (800 lph) and an APS EF-150 (400lph). I realise not all ratings are equal, but I'm not entirely convinced (on the back of my small experience of fishkeeping) that these will be enough.

The tank will be fully planted (as the current one is), and inhabited by 8 guppies, 8 cardinals, 8 black phantoms, 8 red phantoms, 3 corys, 1 bn pleco, and whatever else is recommended to complement that lot. There's a tonne of rcs, assassins and trumpet snails too.

I'm tempted to keep my current 1000EF and run that with the EF-150, and sell the Aqua Pro 800 with my current tank. The 1000EF is physically a good bit bigger and gives more space for media. Then again, not sure if it was overkill for my current tank (though I wouldn't imagine so). I'd prefer to avoid buying another filter right now, but open to this if needed as things develop. What would you guys recommend?

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

Most of the fish you chose are fine in calm water and don't need lots of water movement.

Guppies do best in water with a higher GH, KH & pH compared to the other fishes you picked.

---------------------
What is the GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply?
This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

Depending on what the GH of your water is, will determine what fish you should keep.

Angelfish, discus, most tetras, most barbs, Bettas, gouramis, rasbora, Corydoras and small species of suckermouth catfish all occur in soft water (GH below 150ppm) and a pH below 7.0.

Livebearers (guppies, platies, swordtails, mollies), rainbowfish and goldfish occur in medium hard water with a GH around 200-250ppm and a pH above 7.0.

If you have very hard water (GH above 300ppm) then look at African Rift Lake cichlids, or use distilled or reverse osmosis water to reduce the GH and keep fishes from softer water.

Hi Colin, thanks for this.

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

The tanks is 87cm on the two straight sides (either side of the corner), and 123cm in a straight line across the bow front.

Most of the fish you chose are fine in calm water and don't need lots of water movement.

I thought this was the case, but thanks for confirming. I'm just concerned about having adequate filtration volume.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back