Filter not running, how long, how big a problem

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Beastije

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Soo, ofcourse having so much fun.
Decided to clean the filter, and in the process I broke the stick inside of the rotor. I have to buy a new piece, but that will take me few hours (and I am considering damn lucky they even have it somewhere in stock since it is an eheim 2217).
Meanwhile the filter is ofcourse not running, and since I was cleaning the tank, I did a 10% water change when I tried to restart the filter, I filled the tank all the way as a result.
Given the fish are not that great overall, and I have an overabundance of hair green algae and I stirred a load of stuff when cleaning, what is the next step. After it is running do another water change, do one right away, what about oxygen in the water,...?

I turned off the light. I also fed a bit before the water change, now every fish is roaming the tank, since I stirred food as well.

I am talking about the 120x50x60 tank with the corydoras, attaching picture again
IMG-0449.jpg

Put the media in a shallow bowl of aquarium water and it should be fine for a couple of hours. If you can, periodically swill the water around. The key is to get fresh, oxygenated water into the media. Just as fish can survive a few hours in a plastic bag, so bacteria will be OK for a shortish time with minimal flow

If it will be a few hours, the fish should be fine. Seeing as you have plenty of vegetation in the tank, there should be plenty of oxygen in the water. Make sure to keep the filter media in the tank water, so it doesn't dry out and die.

Given the fish are not that great overall,
Might have missed this, but how are the fish not doing great?

If it will be a few hours, the fish should be fine. Seeing as you have plenty of vegetation in the tank, there should be plenty of oxygen in the water. Make sure to keep the filter media in the tank water, so it doesn't dry out and die.

Might have missed this, but how are the fish not doing great?
Different topic, lost a corydoras on sunday, this is my fifth since purchasing them back in october. Also lost 8 otocinclus since purchasing them in june.

I have all the media in the filter which is filled with water, will swirl the canister around to make it move a bit.
Do I do a water change afterwards too?

Different topic, lost a corydoras on sunday, this is my fifth since purchasing them back in october. Also lost 8 otocinclus since purchasing them in june.

I have all the media in the filter which is filled with water, will swirl the canister around to make it move a bit.
Do I do a water change afterwards too?
How long until you get the new part? Frequent water changes will help with oxygenation, but if it's only a few hours they should be fine.

Found a store and they had it in stock and boyfriend drove there, so like 30 minutes, making it total of 1,5 - 2 hours of not having a filter.
I guess it will be ok, just the timing is poor

Found a store and they had it in stock and boyfriend drove there, so like 30 minutes, making it total of 1,5 - 2 hours of not having a filter.
I guess it will be ok, just the timing is poor
If you haven’t left yet, you could do a 10% water change just to add some fresh water to the system.

Eheim impellers (the stick thing) are made of ceramic and are easily broken. I have an Eheim internal filter and always keep a spare in the cupboard. If I break one, I then buy another one as soon as possible.

Most reactions

trending

Back