Filter media

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Lee171181

Reaction score
Just wondering if I can reuse 2nd hand filter media or if I should buy new? Am upgrading my fluval 307 to a 407 which Iā€™ve purchased 2nd hand. I am planning to put all my existing basket media into the new filter but what about the bio foam/bio foam max sponges that sit vertical in the filter - my current ones are too small to go in the 407 so can I use their existing ones that came with it (once cleaned & rinsed in my old tank water) or should I just purchase new ones?

Just wondering if I can reuse 2nd hand filter media or if I should buy new? Am upgrading my fluval 307 to a 407 which Iā€™ve purchased 2nd hand. I am planning to put all my existing basket media into the new filter but what about the bio foam/bio foam max sponges that sit vertical in the filter - my current ones are too small to go in the 407 so can I use their existing ones that came with it (once cleaned & rinsed in my old tank water) or should I just purchase new ones?

2nd hand media is better than new because it will have beneficial bacteria on the media. It is never advised to throw away all media because you are throwing away important bacteria that is needed for biological filtration. These bacteria process harmful compounds in the water (ammonia and nitrite) so the fish are not exposed to them.

edit: if your old media doesn't fit in the new filter, you can cut it to size. Just be mindful not to overfill the new filter to the point that the flow is impeded.

If I just buy brand new bio foam sponges, can these just go straight in, along with my other existing basket media would that be ok or does this need to be done gradually?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back