Filter Media

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

tomdaven

Reaction score
Hi,
I've got a 65L cold water tank cycled and running for 4 months now.
I'm creating an above ground pond in the garden at the moment which should be around 130L.

I have a spare sponge for my filter. If i place this in my tank, how long should i leave it in before it will be useful for cycling my outdoor pond?

Thanks

Please understand that adding media pretty much does not increase the amount of bacteria in a tank. What it does is spread the exisiting bacteria around. The more bacteria you have comonize the new media is bacteria you will remove from the tank when you put it into the new tank. If there is sufficient bacteria in that media, you will get an ammonia and nitrite spike in the original tank. Here is what I consider a better way.

Another alternative is to look for Tetra Safe Start or Safe Start plus. If you do this alsi fillow the directions on their site as to how to use it.You do not need to add it as they state once you are cycled. This is just a way to get you to buy more you will not need.

Can you make the pond bigger?

130 litres is tiny for a pond and can have massive temperature changes during day and night. A larger volume of water is more stable and better for any fish. Even making the pond a foot deeper or a couple of feet wider can significantly increase water volume.

Can you make the pond bigger?

130 litres is tiny for a pond and can have massive temperature changes during day and night. A larger volume of water is more stable and better for any fish. Even making the pond a foot deeper or a couple of feet wider can significantly increase water volume.
Yes pond will be bigger, used the Volume Calculator on the Forum but completely misread it. Going to be closer to 450L.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back