Filter Media, Sponges And Wool

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

barlow1984

Reaction score
I've had my tank for 3 months and am wondering how often the sponges and the wool they sit on should be changed? I have 2 trays in my filter, in addition they have ceramic noodles underneath.

I read that the noodles should be replaced annually and that I should alternate the replacement of the sponges and wool, but how often?

Sponges - Never, Unless they fall to bits. But they last AGES, So don't look at replacing those anytime soon.

As for wool, I would change it every few weeks. You can buy block wool for your filter that costs around 14 quid and lasts around a year or more.

Haha yes, I bought that stuff and you get ALOT of it. I mean a lot of it, It works great and lasts forever. Well worth getting yourself some, they sell thicker and thinner stuff so it's entirely up to yourself which you buy.

I mean wool is good for picking up lots of dust and fine things, So changing it often will keep your tank water very clean. It's good :p

Yep, Just switch over every few weeks and you'll be sorted.

If you choose to change out the noodles then only change a handful at a time, many don't bother changing these either but there is a strong argument to say they should be. Micropores getting blocked etc.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back