Filter media and tap water

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

seangee

Fish Connoisseur
Reaction score
My community tank has a canister filter (actually it has 2) with double sponge filters on the inlets as pre-filters. I started doing this so I always had a cycled sponge filter in case I need a QT, but it does keep the inside of the cans impressively clean.

I don't use dechlorinater for my water changes because I prefilter the water in advance so I don't need any chemicals. For the last week I have been rinsing the sponges daily - no special reason but it has made the water stunningly clear. I have been doing this in a bucket of tap water that DOES have dechlorinator added. If I just use plain tap water will that actually kill off enough of the BB to make any difference?

I am far more likely to continue this [good] practice if it takes 30 seconds instead of 5 minutes o_O. I don't think I need to worry about water quality in the tank itself as it is over fitered and planted - but I'd hate to discover the sponges are just clean sponges if I do need to set up a tank quickly.

If I just use plain tap water will that actually kill off enough of the BB to make any difference?

No. If your tap water has chlorine, and not chloramine, you will not kill off much (if any) of the nitrifying bacteria. I have been rinsing my filters under the tap for years. It is not something I would suggest to a beginner with a new tank, but once the tank is cycled there are bacteria living everywhere, and more in the substrate than the filter to begin with, so even if it did, there would be basically no issue. But studies have recently shown that nitrifying bacteria are hardier organisms than we used to believe. The strength of the chlorine and the exposure time are factors, but it is a certainty that rinsing filter media under the tap normally is not going to kill off all the bacteria. Chloramine might be more effective at this, which is why I single it out; I only have chlorine, and a fair amount from time to time.

No. If your tap water has chlorine, and not chloramine, you will not kill off much (if any) of the nitrifying bacteria. I have been rinsing my filters under the tap for years. It is not something I would suggest to a beginner with a new tank, but once the tank is cycled there are bacteria living everywhere, and more in the substrate than the filter to begin with, so even if it did, there would be basically no issue. But studies have recently shown that nitrifying bacteria are hardier organisms than we used to believe. The strength of the chlorine and the exposure time are factors, but it is a certainty that rinsing filter media under the tap normally is not going to kill off all the bacteria. Chloramine might be more effective at this, which is why I single it out; I only have chlorine, and a fair amount from time to time.
Thanks Byron. That was my assumption but its good to have confirmation. My provider does use free chlorine and not chloramine.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back