Filter Losing Power

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Boyden

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi  all,

I have an EHEIM internal filter and it is continuously losing power.  By losing power I mean the output/flow from it reduces to next to nothing.  It's only about 4 months old and despite removing it in the correct way, rinsing the sponge and ensuring the impeller is free to move it only seems to run perfectly for 2 days and then deteriorate to almost nothing after a couple more.  

Am I doing something wrong?  I've checked all of the instructions etc time and time again and I seem to be doing things right.  I have put a smaller matured filter in just in case the other one fails whilst I'm at work but it's driving me batty.

Any ideas?  Any suggestion is a good suggestion at the minute short of grabbing it by the wire and using it as an expensive hammer!

Thanks

:good:

I can't imagine that an exchange would be a problem.  However, if it turns out that it's something I've done or am doing then I'd best resolve that before I start barking at anyone for an exchange.  Are there any common causes for my problem other than a mechanical/electrical failure?

Have you actually removed the impeller and cleaned it along with inside the impeller housing? Doesn't matter what brand it is. They both need to be cleaned every month. I made the mistake of making sure the impeller can move but hadn't realised they can get really gummed up inside with guff (algae and muck) and need cleaning regularly. Mine was only working intermittently when the penny dropped, but has been fine since I started doing regular maintenance on the impeller and housing.

Mamashack said:
Have you actually removed the impeller and cleaned it along with inside the impeller housing? Doesn't matter what brand it is. They both need to be cleaned every month. I made the mistake of making sure the impeller can move but hadn't realised they can get really gummed up inside with guff (algae and muck) and need cleaning regularly. Mine was only working intermittently when the penny dropped, but has been fine since I started doing regular maintenance on the impeller and housing.
I have just taken your advice and cleaned the impeller housing.  There was quite a bit of gunk in there and I certainly hadn't taken the time to clean that specific part.  Thanks for the help folks and now I'll just wait and see.  It's running fine at the moment but time is the big tell now.

Thanks again for everyones help :)

A little tip for future reference, if you are finding it difficult to clean the part where the impeller sits use some ear buds which make the job a lot easier 
good.gif

Livewire88 said:
A little tip for future reference, if you are finding it difficult to clean the part where the impeller sits use some ear buds which make the job a lot easier 
good.gif
Pwahahahaha you won't believe what I decided to use to get in there!!  Great minds think alike!  Thanks again for the help you're a star.  I'll be able to keep what's left of my hair for a little longer.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back