Filter Help

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Silencedogood

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Does anyone have a filter brand that they love? My filters just started leaking and I need new ones. I have a 30 gallon tank but I'm looking for filters for a 40-55 gallon tank. Thank you!

I have livebearers and neon tetras in my tank. Will they be okay without a filter for a day or two?
@Colin_T

They should be ok for a day or two. You could float the filter media in the tank for now. Do you have an air pump running? That would help with flow and aeration.

I like Aquaclear filters. The Aquaclear 50 would work for your tank. I use that in my 35 gallon tall hex tank. If you get this filter, be sure to tilt it very slightly toward the tank as these filters, if not tilted could cause water to seep outside the tank if the media gets excessively clogged. Replace the included carbon bag with a sponge . Using filter floss for additional filtration is optional but I use floss. I buy it in a large roll from Big Al's and cut as needed. I throw out the clogged floss when servicing the filter every two or three weeks and just rinse the sponge in removed tank water.

Last edited:
What about biowheels? I have heard varied reviews on them. I'm basically looking for something that isn't prone to getting clogged and can keep up with a lot of organic material.

biowheels suck

Wash the filter media in a bucket of tank water and put the media in the tank. That will keep the bacteria alive.

Wash the o-ring on the filter and smear a thin layer of Vaseline on the o-ring. Put the filter back together and see if it works. If it does, put the media back in it and keep using it.

I don't think it's the o-ring; the plastic is worn away on one side. I forgot to mention that these filters are over 30 years old. I inherited some equipment from my dad's old fish tanks.

I only ever use internal filters. Usually Eheim but for a cheap option I have found that Haleia filters are pretty reliable

I've never used internal filters; only HOB filters. Are internal ones more efficient?

I like internals as everything is in the tank. No chance of leaks and no problems with the filter not starting if there is a power cut or interruption. You can get all sizes I usually run two smaller ones rather than one large, and have one at each end of the tank. They are very easy to maintain.

I'll definitely look into that especially with moving I don't want any leaking filters in my rental. :)

Last edited:
I've had bad experiences with Marineland products. Maybe their filters are better?
Its listed as one of the best so idk. Marineland is fine imo. For my old 15 gallon i had a tetra whisper ex30, never broke in storage after a good 5-8 years after “the thing” happened to my dads tank

Also beware of the ph i think neons need perfectly 7.5 for both species to aurvive
My ph is 7.2-7.5. I used to have trouble with it but I recently added sand to my tank and it fixed itself.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back