Filter for tank with sand substrate

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Aly4Jesus

Reaction score
I have a 20 gallon tank with a sand bottom. I am currently using Aqueon30 filter which does a decent job as well as a small black sponge filter. This keeps my tank mostly clean, but are there better filters for a sandy bottom tank? I tried Marineland bio wheel filter which kept my tank beautiful for about a week before it broke. Replaced it twice and they all broke within a week. I called customer service who said the sand was getting into the turbine and wearing our the motor. The design of this filter had the turbine setting upright so the sand would settle into its space. The Aqueon filter design has the turbine setting upside down so that the sand can't settle on it. But is there a better filter? The Aqueon is ok, but doesn't keep my tank crystal clear even though I have matrix media in the filter to help grow good bacteria. My tank looks nicer now that I have included the matrix. But the Aqeuon filter be ones dirty very quickly and I have to take it apart and clean it every 1-2 weeks. Anyone who has found a better filter for a sand substrate bottom, please help!

The main thing with sand is to have the filter intake tube a few inches above the sand. It only sucks sand up if it's too close. Or maybe put a cylindrical sponge as a prefilter over the intake tube.

either the intake is too close to the substrate, you have active fish such as a pleco thats disturbing the sand, or its a new setup and the lighter particles of sand are being collected

Sand can damage the filters.

You have to put a "strainer sponge" to cover the intake tube and put intake tube higher.

But if you can't find the strainer sponge, you can try using a ladies panty hose stocking.

Attachments

• IMG_20200927_092455.jpg
    IMG_20200927_092455.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_20200927_092442.jpg
    IMG_20200927_092442.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 62
I have always liked under gravel filters for sand bases. The problem with sand bases is dead spots where anaerobic bacteria can build up. Under gravel filters can help to eliminate that to some degree. If you want a DIY design ask and I'll post one.

You could use some kind of net or clean sponges to cover up that part of a filter.

I had no idea under gravel filters were possible with sand, I thought the sand would just clog it instantly?

either the intake is too close to the substrate, you have active fish such as a pleco thats disturbing the sand, or its a new setup and the lighter particles of sand are being collected
I have always liked under gravel filters for sand bases. The problem with sand bases is dead spots where anaerobic bacteria can build up. Under gravel filters can help to eliminate that to some degree. If you want a DIY design ask and I'll post one.
I would love to see how an under gravel filter is setup with sand!

You can make an undergravel filter using 1 inch PVC pipe with holes in it. you place an air stone into a piece of that circuit it will passively draw the water through your substrate. I will try and find that design or draw it for you

Like this I make mine a little different But the principle is the same

Ah, we all assumed you meant the type with perforated plastic plates which go under the gravel that were popular a couple of decades ago.

Ah, we all assumed you meant the type with perforated plastic plates which go under the gravel that were popular a couple of decades ago.
This is passive, used in Marine work as well. You need your main mechanical filter as well. This just stops the substrate getting stale.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back