Filter For Nano Tank.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

DaveW

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi.
I have just brought a Fluval flora 30lt, and I'm very happy with it. Well, except the filter is a little noisy! So I was wondering what filters do you guys use that are very quiet?
Thanks in advance.

Depends on your defination of noisy though.

Fluval do make fairly decent filters and these are probably as good as a internal you're going to get for a small 30 litre tank.

There are a couple of other options though you could consider, a Hang On Back (HOB) filter or a small external canister filter which could also be used a HOB or hidden behind the tank.

As for noise, I cannot comment on any filters on noise, all filters do make a certain amount of noise, some quieter than others of course.

Hopefully someone will point you in general direction of a decent quiet filter that suits you and your budget
wink.png

dophin ft500 is what ive got and it makes absolutly no noise and is relatavly cheep

Thanks for the replies!
I know that filters make a bit of a humming noise, but this one has a rattle as well that can be heard from 15 foot away. I was looking at the Fluval mini that has some good reviews on Amazon. As so looking at an Eheim but they are a bit bigger. I would still like an internal filter as there will not be room for a hob or external where the tank is placed.
Sean, I can find the one you mention here in the UK.
I might leave it a bit to see if it quiets down on it's own.

I'm not a fan of the internal that ships with the flora, they clog very quickly, which is often the culprit for the noise and I found myself cleaning one out every couple of days. Mine rattled like crazy at times.

On small tanks like these I've always preferred to go external, so as not to lose too much space, but if you're tight on space then you'll have to go internal. In which case most of the big players have good filters, including fluval/hagen, unless you go for the one that comes in this set up. Depending on what you plan to stock though, I've seen some good results with sponge box filters for shrimp set ups.

Thanks for the reply DrRob. I glad it's not just me that thinks the filter is noisy. I will be getting another filter but not sure which one yet. I'm going for an internal as I don't have the funds for an external one.

Most reactions

trending

Back