Filter For 200 Litre

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

CletePurcel

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I am about to buy my second tank. A 200 litre Aquael which comes with an internal filter.

I have read here and there that internals are not that great for a tank this size. Is this true?

I was thinking of maybe replacing the filter that it comes with it for a Fluval U3 or U4 (if the supplied filter turns out to be not very powerful) or maybe go external and get a Fluval 305 or something like that. I have a Fluval U2 on my 100 litre and I could get a U3 free with a sub to Practical Fishkeeping
rolleyes.gif

If I get an external I will have to modify the hood so I would rather not at this stage. So I would like to know if it is really necessary.

Cheers.

I prefer externals as they are easier to maintain and generally have more space for media.

The 305 or 405 fluvals would be a good fit for 200L, others will recommend some of the others brands but I have no experience with them.

Thank you ZZ. Do the 305/405s make any noise? Sorry for the dumb question, but I have no experience of external filters.

I have a 305 and it's as quiet as a mouse. My auto-timer for the lights makes more noise!

I have the Fluval 405 and its silent and a great filter :good: for its size I can also recommend the the Tetratec 1200 as I have one.

Regards onebto

I have a Fluval 305 in my 240L tank. Found it to be very good :good:

As has been said above, it is easier to maintain than an internal.
Also, I prefer that I don't have a big black box in my tank, just a few pipes which I have hidden behind some plants.
And also, the external has added a few (I think it's about 5) litres overall capacity.

Thanks for all your replies. So it looks like the recommendation is for external.

Can I ask whether this simply for aesthetic and/or maintenance reasons as you all point out, or is there some other reason why an internal is not good enough? I am just curious to know as the U series Fluvals do seem to be able to cycle quite a lot of water per hour.

Cheers.

Thanks for all your replies. So it looks like the recommendation is for external.

Can I ask whether this simply for aesthetic and/or maintenance reasons as you all point out, or is there some other reason why an internal is not good enough? I am just curious to know as the U series Fluvals do seem to be able to cycle quite a lot of water per hour.

Cheers.

It is both of the reasons as you mentioned but an external is more efficient than an internal it contains more filter medium and turns over more water plus you get the added bonus that you do not have a big black box or what ever colour the internal is in your tank.

Regards onebto.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back