Filter for 2.5gal Suggestion

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

omega59

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
I am looking for a super quiet filter fora 2.5Gal aquarium. Those ones with a air pump are too noisy please can someone direct me thank you.

I doubt you will find a power filter for that size tank. If you haven't bought the tank, go for something bigger.

Air operated sponge filters are my choice for small tanks but if you don't like the noise, that won't work. The other option would be a small external hang on the back (HOB) style filter like an AquaClear. This would give you a quiet filter that does not sit in the tank so you won't lose tank space. However, they are quite powerful and might knock the fish about when they are trying to sleep.

If you decide to stay with the 2.5 gal. tank, I have been quite happy with the

Aqueon X-Small QuietFlow E Internal Power Filter, 3 Gallon​

You can hang it at a level where it does not cascade into the water and that allows it to stay even quieter. But, I would follow @Colin_T ’s suggestion and try to go for a larger tank if you can.

i know someone who had the Aqueon X-Small and it was very bad filter quality made. Someone recommended me also the Tetra Whisper 10i I'm just not sure bc it says it's for 10gal which will be much for my 2.5gal. I cannot get a larger tank atm. Reason it needs to be silent is bc it sits in a bedroom. So it has to be silent but betta safe. I have placed a small heater in there only for now and will be doing water changes every 5 days at 70%-80% until I can find a recommended filter.

Attachments

• IMG_20201227_104754.jpg
    IMG_20201227_104754.jpg
    314.7 KB · Views: 51
i know someone who had the Aqueon X-Small and it was very bad filter quality made. Someone recommended me also the Tetra Whisper 10i I'm just not sure bc it says it's for 10gal which will be much for my 2.5gal. I cannot get a larger tank atm. Reason it needs to be silent is bc it sits in a bedroom. So it has to be silent but betta safe. I have placed a small heater in there only for now and will be doing water changes every 5 days at 70%-80% until I can find a recommended filter.
Could you go with a nano sponge filter? I have one with this air pump and it is completely quiet. It's in my daughter's bedroom and you can't hear it at all. I have the sponge filter and a Marina slim S20 filter which is completely quiet as well. They may have a smaller HOB version but not sure about something for that small of a tank. I might go with the nano sponge. You'll need airline tubing and I'd recommend an airstone, too.

The smallest one from them is for a 10gal and i'm afraid of the humming from the pump will not work. I searched and found internal filters will be quiets, was looking at the Aqueon QuietFlow Internal Power Filter, however reviews are bad.

I was a bit apprehensive about the filter based on the reviews as well, but I got them at my LFS and have had no trouble at all with either of them. Easy to clean, quiet and efficient. This is one of the tanks:
1609107234665.png

I would go for the smallest sponge filter you could find. 2.5 gallons is a super small tank, and most filters would be to big/have to high of a current for them.

Yea I would just buy a sponge filter but I'm afraid of the pump noise and surface movement. I was able to get a led light for it just have to wait for the mail. Just deciding on this filter issue. :(

I ended up going with the Azoo Mignon Filter 60, I hope it is good. I ordered some biomax as I read it's filter media it comes with isn't so great. My light came it I'm happy with it.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back