Filter cleaning.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Moby

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Would cleaning my external filter sponges in rain water instead of tank water affect the good bacteria.As there’s no chlorine in it,I thought it would be ok.Anyone done this.
Thks.

If the rainwater is pollution & chemical free, then yes...but I wouldn't risk it...tank water is readily available, and you know what's in it

@Colin_T
I want to give you some private information. Please PM me soon so we can have a private discussion. Thanks

even if you did use rainwater, how would you even get enough rain water to even make this possible?

even if you did use rainwater, how would you even get enough rain water to even make this possible?
I have large water butt in the garden.Doing it with rain water would make it a lot easier and quicker.

I have large water butt in the garden.Doing it with rain water would make it a lot easier and quicker.

Nice, but I would advise you to not rinse your filter material in rain water. You could introduce new organisms/bacterias that you wouldn't normally want in your tank.

I already use some rainwater on water changes to soften the water as I have hard water.

I already use some rainwater on water changes to soften the water as I have hard water.

If it's working for you then fine, but if all you are trying to do is soften the water and lower the PH. You could put some dried oak leaves in the tank while adding some driftwood. The only good thing that comes from rainwater is probably the mosquito eggs, which are good source of protein for the fish.

If you have an established tank (6 months or longer) you can use regular tap water and leverage a sprayer in the sink!
It's a huge (often accepted) myth that beneficial bacteria only lives in the filter when in fact there is far more in the substrate... Filtration and Water Quality :)

The best way to soften water is to mix it with pure water - eg rainwater. Using leaves to soften water will have little impact on hard water.

A caution about rainwater ...
I live in the Northeastern United States and we have what's been referred to as acid rain. In many places these days there is enough air pollution to contaminate rain water, the degree of which might be debated. I also at one point attempted to collect rain water from my asphalt shingled roof. I live in out the country, but have a fair amount of road traffic. I quickly noticed that the water was tinted yellow and clearly not suitable for aquarium use.
So rain water may or may not be a good option. A much safer approach to cut hard water or for other reasons would be to use RO or distilled water. And again, for filter sponge cleaning, tap water can be just fine.

Note: If you live in the wilderness and have a metal roof, rain water collection may be just fine! :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back