Filter change while cycling

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

ellamay

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Iā€™m just over a month into cycling my first tank. I have a tetra easy crystal filter which came with a replacement filter pack C. Do I need to replace this now as itā€™s been 4 weeks or will that get rid of some of the healthy bacteria Iā€™ve been building up??

If the cartridge is not clogged up, leave it in there for a while longer. Give the tank a while longer to establish. Once the tank is established, it won't matter.

Iā€™m just over a month into cycling my first tank. I have a tetra easy crystal filter which came with a replacement filter pack C. Do I need to replace this now as itā€™s been 4 weeks or will that get rid of some of the healthy bacteria Iā€™ve been building up??
DO NOT replace it, rinse in old tank water as needed, and put back in filter.

That filter will last much longer than the box says on it. They just want you to go out and buy more. Don't change it until it starts to deteriorate.
"They just want you to go out and buy more."

Exactly.

That filter will last much longer than the box says on it. They just want you to go out and buy more. Don't change it until it starts to deteriorate.
Okay thatā€™s great thanks! So Iā€™ll wait until the cycle has completely finished then clean it in the old tank water before I get new fish.

If the cartridge is not clogged up, leave it in there for a while longer. Give the tank a while longer to establish. Once the tank is established, it won't matter.
Iā€™ll give it a proper clean when I do my first water change before I get fish. How do I know when it gets clogged up? Will the water start to look dirty?

Iā€™ll give it a proper clean when I do my first water change before I get fish. How do I know when it gets clogged up? Will the water start to look dirty?
The water won't look dirty, the cartridge will...and, it may or may not need swishing around (cleaning) in old tank water when you are ready for fish.

Most reactions

trending

Back