Filter blockage theory.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Mr Tomato

Reaction score
Hi ..
Over the years I noticed sponge filters suffer from reduced flowage due to the usual.
But none were impacted as much as those tanks containing bog wood or driftwood.
Thought I'd look into it. Extracting some Tanin ladened scrapings from the four week old sponge ..
I found under the microscope..tiny particles of wood.
So my findings tell me.
That owing to its constant ongoing decomposition, bog wood and alike is shedding off into the water column and suspended within the Tanin gets itself into the filter media which builds up eventually slowing down the output . Testing two tanks side by side ..one without wood, the pump did not show signs of flow restriction after four weeks.
I've never heard of this being spoken of before.
So I'm wondering if I just opened up a whole new can of worms .
Thanks for reading

Hi ..
Over the years I noticed sponge filters suffer from reduced flowage due to the usual.
But none were impacted as much as those tanks containing bog wood or driftwood.
Thought I'd look into it. Extracting some Tanin ladened scrapings from the four week old sponge ..
I found under the microscope..tiny particles of wood.
So my findings tell me.
That owing to its constant ongoing decomposition, bog wood and alike is shedding off into the water column and suspended within the Tanin gets itself into the filter media which builds up eventually slowing down the output . Testing two tanks side by side ..one without wood, the pump did not show signs of flow restriction after four weeks.
I've never heard of this being spoken of before.
So I'm wondering if I just opened up a whole new can of worms .
Thanks for reading

Huh. Well that is interesting, hadn't thought about it.

Do you mean like an intake sponge filter before the impeller? Or a mechanical sponge filter after the impeller? Just curious.

I know the mopani and malaysian drift woods I have were sandblasted before purchase (and thoroughly soaked before use), but I bet the decomposition/wood particles still have the same effect, especially on my intake sponge.

Wonder which common aquarium driftwoods breakdown the slowest and the fastest - I also kind of want a microscope now =P

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back