Filter Advice

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

SwanseaGuppies

Reaction score
Hi there,
Iā€™ve just a second-hand aquarium and filter. Itā€™s the Superfish Home 80 with the Aqua-Flow 300. As this is a second-hand tank, Iā€™m giving everything a really good clean and Iā€™m replacing the filter cartridge. From what I understand, the cartridge needs to be replaced every month, but at about Ā£7.50-Ā£8.00 each time, this is going to get very expensive. I have realised That the cartridge comes apart and I can remove the foam and the cylindrical things in a little mesh bag (not sure what those are called). So, I was wondering if it is possible to buy the foam and the cylindrical things separately so that I can replace the contents of the cartridge instead of the whole cartridge each month? If it is, could anyone let me know exactly what I need to look for to make sure I buy the right thing? Thank you for your help. X šŸŸ

Foam and ceramic media (the cylindrical things) don't need to be replaced until they fall apart. Only carbon needs to be replaced, and since it's not needed full time anyway it is better to replace it with foam and/or ceramic media. Foam and ceramic media just need to be washed in old water taken out at a water change.

I think @Sunnyspots has this tank so she'll know the filter and will be able to offer more specific advice.

The media do contain sponge. Ceramic media are also a good medium. It's carbon which is not needed, and is not a very good medium.

@SwanseaGuppies is there a way to remove the carbon from the cartridge? It will be either black sponge or black granules. If it can be removed, it can be replaced in the cartridge with more sponge and the cartridge can then be used for years.

The media do contain sponge. Ceramic media are also a good medium. It's carbon which is not needed, and is not a very good medium.

@SwanseaGuppies is there a way to remove the carbon from the cartridge? It will be either black sponge or black granules. If it can be removed, it can be replaced in the cartridge with more sponge and the cartridge can then be used for years.
Ok, thanks for clarifying. There is a black sponge, so thatā€™s probably the carbon? Iā€™ll attach a photo so you can see the contents of the cartridge. So I can remove the black carbon sponge and then replace it with a non-carbon sponge in the cartridge instead? Thank you so much for your help with this.

Attachments

• 5372B1B3-8214-4EDD-9A58-583B3A1FF953.jpeg
    5372B1B3-8214-4EDD-9A58-583B3A1FF953.jpeg
    195.1 KB · Views: 52
The tank instructions do mention carbon so yes, the black sponge probably contains carbon. You just need a filter sponge, any make, the same size or bigger to cut it down.

Edit to add -
This is from the manual
The cartridge contains active filter carbon that absorbs harmful substances from the water therefore you need to replace the cartridge monthly.

The tank instructions do mention carbon so yes, the black sponge probably contains carbon. You just need a filter sponge, any make, the same size or bigger to cut it down.
Perfect. Thank you so much.

Sorry I'm a bit late!! Everything has been answered by the look of it. Btw the filter is overpowered for the tank so if you have fish who prefer lighter flow you might be wise to get a different filter anyway. :)

Sorry I'm a bit late!! Everything has been answered by the look of it. Btw the filter is overpowered for the tank so if you have fish who prefer lighter flow you might be wise to get a different filter anyway. :)
I doubt that would be a problem and you donā€™t need to get a whole new filter, just block the flow using rock.

Sponge filters are way more effective than ceramics, just leave it be donā€™t clean unless clogged, leave it be for at least four months to obtain good bio filtration. Changing filter media is a marketing ploy to get your cash.

Sponge filters are way more effective than ceramics, just leave it be donā€™t clean unless clogged, leave it be for at least four months to obtain good bio filtration. Changing filter media is a marketing ploy to get your cash.
I used the same sponge for 5 years still running well

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back