Film over new wood

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Guyb93

Fish Herder
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
I added a new bit of wood to my tank yesterday, it was too large to boil off so I had to soak it in the bath for a few hours with very hot water too hot to touch but not boiled sunk within a hour as it had only been out of a fish tank for a week
Today I notice most of the wood is covered in a white opaque film , off a bit off internet research it’s saying don’t worry about it ... obviously I’m worrying about it , do I take it out and clean it again or just leave it , iv noticed my 3 day old electric blue acara fry are eating it which I’m not to bothered about cus they will all be eaten there selves within a few weeks il add a photo but it’s kind of impossible to see

Attachments

• C0EEF729-BED0-45CA-A2CD-F12F2C7D9B23.jpeg
    C0EEF729-BED0-45CA-A2CD-F12F2C7D9B23.jpeg
    251.4 KB · Views: 89
It is likely biofilm being produced by the wood but is this wood that’s already been sunk before? If so I had this before and the bits of wood that were resunk and released biofilm were actually rotting and caused me a lot of problems

It is likely biofilm being produced by the wood but is this wood that’s already been sunk before? If so I had this before and the bits of wood that were resunk and released biofilm were actually rotting and caused me a lot of problems
I can only assume it had been sunk before as the chap I bought it off was selling a lot of wood rocks gravel and other fish tank stuff , I’m thinking maybe remove the wood do the re cleaning process, reintroduce back to the tank again and if happens again just bin the wood , sound like a plan ? Or maybe you hve a better suggestion?

It all feels firm and hard no real soft areas that are worrying me

Wouldn't bother me

It might be nothing but if you notice a spike in algae and or nitrates I’d take it out. I’d just be suspicious as it means something has changed in the wood to re release biofilm

It might be nothing but if you notice a spike in algae and or nitrates I’d take it out. I’d just be suspicious as it means something has changed in the wood to re release biofilm
All I can think of is , it has been out of water for a week or so and did take a few hours to re sink , it didn’t release any tannins at all and even though it has sunk now it still has some buoyancy, if the film comes back worse or the same I’m just going to remove it I think as iv never had this before even on wood Iv sunk myself

It is really common on new wood, I think I've had it more often than not to be fair but just after my experiences with getting it on old wood check out the last pics on this page of my journal - https://www.fishforums.net/threads/aquascaper-600.461749/page-4

I think that brown algae was caused by the wood releasing a biofilm that contained silicates which led to filomentous diatoms. That is in a high energy tank though so probably a bit extreme. Since removing the wood though I've not had that problem (plenty of other algae but not that one). But thats the kind of thing to keep an eye out for.

Wills

It’s just muck leaking out of the wood. If it really bothers you, I would remove it and scrub it all off.

Driftwood snot, harmless, some fish will eat it, you can remove it or leave it alone, it will go away on it's own, eventually.

My driftwood did/is doing that! It has not caused any problems, but it did terrify my mom lol. I looked it up, and apparently it is normal with new wood. If you like I can upload a photo of what mine looked like, for comparison. I just pulled mine out of the tank and scrubbed it with a toothbrush, and it came back but not so bad, so each time it comes back I scrub it and it is going away

Most reactions

trending

Back