April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

The-Wolf

Ex-LFS manager/ keeper of over 30 danio species
Reaction score
Common Name: Filament Barb, blackspot barb

Scientific name: Puntius filamentosus

other scientific name(s): - Barbus filamentosa, Systomus filamentosus, Leuciscus filamentosus, Systomus maderaspatensis

Family: - Cyprinidae

Origin: - India

Maximum Size: - 18cm/ 7inch (TL) although 5 inch seems to be the aquarium max.

Care: - A very hardy barb and extreamly active. For the size and activness they need a very long tank, I'd say at least 4ft long 15 inch wide as a minimum.

Feeding: Most foods are accepted, has a love of bloodworm and mysis. will also take live river shrimp

Sexing and Breeding: - Males are larger and have a filamented dorsal fin when sexually mature (see pics). When in spawning condition they also have a cluster of small white 'nodules' on their noses. spawning happens at any time of day or night and can last for hours. The males chase the females in wild swim patterns involving sharp turns and steep dives. eggs are scattured by the female and the male swims into the cloud of eggs fertalising them.
I've not raised any fry from my spawnings but have found four 1/2 inch fry in a weir a few weeks after seeing them spawn.

Compatibility: - due to the spawning behaviour they should only be kept in larger comunities with fish that can tollerate such speed and boisterousness,
such as Giant danios, Elegant rasboras etc.

Comments: - A beautiful fish, even more so when sexually matured. wonderful coulors from the scales and great scale pattern too. to get the best colouration they should be kept in groups of at least 5.

Male
malefilament.jpg

Female
femalefilament.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back