Figuring Out Your Female Bettas Tail Type

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Jaded12

The Betta Bug Has Bitten... Resistence Is Futile
Reaction score
I posted this awhile ago but its probably been lost in time so I'll repost it, its an article I wrote up awhile back hope people find it helpful

I'm sure many of us have had the problem of not being able to tell the tail types of our female bettas. So heres a guide on what to look for in females to better guess what tail type they may be. When figuring out the tail of type of your female the first thing to look for is the amount of rays she has, so first I will discuss how to count rays.

Different tail types have different amounts of rays. VT's, usually have two, as do CT's (though sometimes they can have more - up to 4 or 8 sometimes). HM's can have up to 8 (and have even been know to have as many as 12 :blink:), but usually have 4 or 6 (though a HM with only 4 - 6 rays would most likely be classified as a delta or super delta). PK's generally have two (traditional PK's) and HMPK can again have 4-8. When you look for rays, they always start off at the base of the fin as one big ray, then branch off about 1/4 to halfway down the main ray. It's the branching you want to count. It can be tricky to see sometimes.

Here's a pictures taken off of aquabid to show you what I'm talking about, lol.

fwbettashmp1170281491x.jpg

I drew in the rays to make it clearer. In example #1 you can see the clearly defined 4 rays. But in example #2 you can see where the rays spliting off and there's actually a 5th ray, bettas rays comes in two's so when this fish is finished maturing there's a good chance that he'll have 6 rays. You measure your bettas fins by the highest ray-count. So it could have a few rays with 4, and a few with two, but would still be classified as a 4-ray.

Ok, now that you have an idea on how to count rays, we'll discuss each tail type individually. Here are pictures with certain highlighted points, look at the picture then we will discuss the highlights.

Veiltail

fwbettasvt1171525202x.jpg

Ok, highlighted in red we see that the edges of her tail are not straight, they curve in toward each other.

In green we see that she only has 2 ray, a veil tail female will NEVER have more then 2 rays.

and In blue we see her anal fin, its long and scopy but not very well defined or symmetrical.

Delta/Super delta

fwbettasd1171459659x.jpg

Red - The edges of her tail are straight, the DO NOT curve in toward eachother.

Green - She has 4 rays, deltas/super deltas can have between 2-6 rays.

Blue - Her anal isn't as scopey as the veiltail and is more well defined, this is the type of anal we will see on the halfmoons as well.

Halfmoon

fwbettashm1171244427x.jpg

Red - Her tail had nice long straight edges, and when shes in full flare her tail make the shape of a perfect D.

Green - She had 8 rays, a halfmoon can have anywhere between 6 and 16 rays!!

Plakat

fwbettashmp1171534513x.jpg

The only point I can really highlight here is her anal fin, a female plakat will have a smaller, straighter, shorter anal fin then any of the other females.

Double tail

fwbettasdt1171282990x.jpg

Red - She'll obviously have 2 lobes, the more even the better

Blue - Double tails have a much long dorsal fin then any of the other tail types.

Telling a female from a male plakat

fwbettashmp1171520331x.jpg

Red - Males tend to have much longer ventrals than females

Green - Males have an extra layer of skin on there gill making it possible for them to make the big flare face, lol. When females flare their girls will flare out but that BIG extra layer that frames the face won't be there.

Blue - Males have long pointed anal fins.

why not a sticky! lol would be great for newbs like who have only just started looking at female bettas. i get so lost!

I am getting a female from the local shop, and she really doesn't fit any of the descriptions... her tail is about twice the length of a normal female's, and her dorsal looks a bit like a HM. I really can't be sure, because she moves around too much for me to see the number of rays.

this is a very useful thread. i think a slighlty clearer pic of a VT girl is in order tho :good: heres a couple of my VT girls from days gone by

:lol: ignore the black cricle

Attachments

• CIMG0710__Small_2.JPG
    CIMG0710__Small_2.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 61
  • CIMG0790__Small_.JPG
    CIMG0790__Small_.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 55
  • CIMG1170__Small_.JPG
    CIMG1170__Small_.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 54

Most reactions