penguinpimp1990

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Common Name: Figure 8 Puffer

Scientific Name: Tetraodon biocellatus

Family: Tetraodontidae

Origin: Malaysia,Thailand, various Asian countries

Maximum size: 3 inches (7.5 cm)

Care: Tank size minimum of 20 gallons. This is a BRACKISH puffer, and will require salt in the aquarium. I flucuate the SG of the tank from 1.002 to 1.012 with every water change to duplicate the naturally fluctuating waters of Asia. (1.005 being ideal) PH level should be between 7.1 and 8. Tempature should be 74-80 F. The KH should be 8-14. The subtrate should be sand. Be sure to add many plants and hiding places in the tank. The Figure 8 Puffer is peaceful to semi-aggressive and will nip at long finnage. If housed with another Figure 8 they will constantly nip at each other, so be very careful.

Diet: Crustaceans such as krill, ocean plankton, brine shrimp, bloodworms or tubifex worms, snails, mussels, cockels, (goes crazy for frozen cockel in shell) and occasionally feeder shrimp.

Breeding: Breeding occurs in brackish waters, eggs are laid on the bottom of the tank on a flat surface (slate is ideal). Male guards eggs until they are free swimming which occurs in about a week.

Comments: Awesome personality, highly active, great colorations, always the focal point of the tank. When buying your puffer, look out for sunken bellies.

puffer.jpg

my short-lived F8 puffer. great personality and was the favorite of everyone who saw him. he was very nippy and very much a concern with regards to my apple snails, as he kept biting anything they took out of their shell :rolleyes: it was sold to me early on in the hobby as a freshwater fish, so that's why he didnt last long :angry:

bloat.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Back