Figure 8 Puffer Rounded Belly

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Puffie

Reaction score
Hi fish experts! I have a concern on my Figure 8 puffer. Been having them for more than a year now in my brakish water setup tank. I have two of em, both seems cheerful and active.
On normal occasion their belly will be obvious round-ish shape after their meal and on the next day their belly will go flat and round again after another meal. I feed them once a day, bloodworm, snails, clams (yea I know about the grinding teeth thingy).
However few weeks ago I started noticing that one of them tends to have a rounded belly. Even on the next day this one still has a rounded belly, it isn't too big but visibly can tell the difference apart from the other puffer. At first I thought it was just coincidence that it munch on some scrap food laying around the aquarium which causes that slight round belly. However it has been on like that everyday for a few weeks now and I am starting to worry. Upon researching there are some information on 'Intestinal Parasites' and 'Constipation' that some people experience on their puffers.

Intestinal Parasite - As of now I do not see any white string in the feces. Those around the tank are not totally black solid like how it used to be. (and might be from the other puffer)
Constipation - No information on this yet since I did not stay and wait for it to take a dump. :blush:

I came across on some advise on soaking their food in garlic to address the intestinal parasite problem.
Would be helpful if you guys can help with some puffer advise.

Sorry I can't get a clearer picture of them, they tend to hide when I bring my camera closer :sad:.
The photo was taken before meal, the left puffer's belly seems to be rounded even before a meal.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 80
Thanks for the the advise and the great info from other post. I stop feeding yesterday as I was trying to skip 1 day a week. This morning I still see the same rounded belly. From the post you share it seems that garlic may not solve all the problems however it suppose it wouldn't hurt to try :unsure: maybe I try soaking some clams with garlic for them. How many days would you suggest skipping meals?

Just do it for a few days - 3 or so
Thanks a lot for the info. I will leave them till tomorrow to see how this puffer react. Suppose it will also build up their appetite for garlic flavour munchies.
Second day without food and still looking round-ish. I will try the garlic soaking meal tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_20210922_213732.jpg
    IMG_20210922_213732.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 61
Update on 2023, my rounded belly figure 8 puffer turn out okay. Whatever it was back then, it subsided. Now the belly will go back to its original flat tummy on the following day and will round up a pot belly after a daily meal (skipping 1 or 2 days a week) :lol:

Looking back at the early stage of my inexperienced puffer fish keeping that I might have done wrong, I sometimes feed my puffers cockles bought from the wet market. The problem was sometimes those aren't exactly fresh which might have caused some bacterial infection.

Not sure if this was the cure however, I then mix frozen clam meat or frozen bloodworm with mashed garlic and soak it for few hours before feeding. I did this for few weeks and control feeding amount. Gradually the belly went back to normal and without even noticing, it has grown longer now compared to 2 years ago. The pictures shows current day. 😃

Attachments

• IMG_20230314_002237.jpg
    IMG_20230314_002237.jpg
    257.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20230314_002144.jpg
    IMG_20230314_002144.jpg
    271.7 KB · Views: 18
Further update on my puffer. Here is a first video I made for it. Hope you enjoy ;)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back