Fighting Gouramis!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

jess_3756

Reaction score
I have an established 20g tank. Just recently most of my fish came down with a bad case of ick, and I lost all but 3 fish (a red gourami, blue gourami, and a sm bala shark). The red gourami and the blue gourami were getting along great, following each other everywhere. The red gourami was in the tank before the blue (im not sure if this matters). Then, I decided to get some more fish to restock my tank. I purchased:
- another bala shark (medium)
-4 neon tetras
- a pleco (which was eaten the day after it was bought)
- 4 tiger barbs
- 2 ballon mollies
(These 11 fish were all purchased within the span of 2 weeks. Not all at once.)

After these new additions, I noticed that my blue gourami was bullying other fish. Where ever he swam, fish would dart away. I watched him nip other fish. ALSO, a day after the new fish, my NEW pleco was at he bottom, sin pulled off, eye gone, and insides gone. He was eaten. I suspect it was the blue gourami who played a big part of this, since i came down and watched him bite the already half eaten pleco.

Now, I've noticed that the red gourami chasing and biting the blue gourami who is bigger than him. But they used to get along so great.
My biggest question is: why are the gouramis fighting?!
Thanks for the help. :)

Just guessing, but maybe with the new fish in there you're Blue and Red Gourami's are trying to reestablish their territory.

Gourams can fight, as said espesially 2 males.

Also - I think your tanks too small for silver bala sharks. They grow to about a 1ft long as can stress alot of other fish out. They thrash about alot and like to swim around fast.

Gourams can fight, as said espesially 2 males.

Also - I think your tanks too small for silver bala sharks. They grow to about a 1ft long as can stress alot of other fish out. They thrash about alot and like to swim around fast.

Well, I only bought a 20g because it was my first tank. I am moving next year, and in my new house I'll be purhasing a much bigger tank. I was informed by my LFS that the balas wouldnt grow alot and will be fine for a couple more years in a 20g tank.

also, could someone anserw my pleco problem?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back