Fertilizer Recommendation Please (Uk)

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

PrairieSunflower

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
I used to use a fertilizer by JBL that was ok but the problem was it came in small bottles and needed so much that I was always going out and buying it... so I wanted to switch.  I bought Seachem Flourish and since... well, my plants are suffering.

Can you recommend a good fertilizer (available in the UK) for a simple planted tank (no CO2).  I have two tanks actually, a betta tank and a community tank.  Also both contain shrimp so it needs to be shrimp safe too.

In case it is relevant, my tank contains anubias nana (which are generally looking great but have stopped flowering since using Seachem Flourish), anubias congensis (not doing well since the fertilizer change), java fern, moss balls and amazon sword (good color but some leaves are struggling).

Will follow this with interest, Prairie, since I have similar set-ups and am looking to improve my planting.

EI dosing is a good way to go, by mixing your own its a lot cheaper 

I agree with mike. Find yourself a EL package and go for that. Can't beat it

EI dosing is not a brand or a product.  It's a method of dosing nutrients in sufficient quantity to ensure that plants are never deficient in any nutrient.  Usually it's done by buying your own dry salts (chemicals such as potassium nitrate and potassium phosphate) and adding them to the tank directly, or mixing your own solution.  Doing this usually works out cheaper in the long run than buying pre-mixed brands.

I use EI dosing myself but I wouldn't advise it for a tank that does not have added CO2 or liquid carbon.  For a tank with just a few plants in something like Seachem Flourish or Easylife Profito is ideal.

However you're already adding Flourish and say your plants are still suffering so that's probably a sign you need to think about adding some carbon.  EasyCarbo or Excel are good options.

So would EI still work well with liquid carbon? (Sorry Prairie!)

what Jbl fertilizer was it ? if it was the ferrapol 24 it's great stuff and you can but larger 50ml bottles.

TheFishCellar said:
what Jbl fertilizer was it ? if it was the ferrapol 24 it's great stuff and you can but larger 50ml bottles.
Yes, that's the one.  I think I was buying a 200ml bottle (somewhere around that size anyway), it just always seemed to go so quickly.  I liked the idea of Seachem flourish because the dosage was smaller so the bottle would last longer... but it doesn't seem to do the same job.

daizeUK said:
EI dosing is not a brand or a product.  It's a method of dosing nutrients in sufficient quantity to ensure that plants are never deficient in any nutrient.  Usually it's done by buying your own dry salts (chemicals such as potassium nitrate and potassium phosphate) and adding them to the tank directly, or mixing your own solution.  Doing this usually works out cheaper in the long run than buying pre-mixed brands.

I use EI dosing myself but I wouldn't advise it for a tank that does not have added CO2 or liquid carbon.  For a tank with just a few plants in something like Seachem Flourish or Easylife Profito is ideal.

However you're already adding Flourish and say your plants are still suffering so that's probably a sign you need to think about adding some carbon.  EasyCarbo or Excel are good options.

EI dosing sounds complicated, I don't think I'd have the confidence that I'd end up doing that correctly.

Does easycarbo only have an effect when used along with a fertilizer?  I used to use it previous to using the JBL fertilizer and it had no effect (I had different plants mostly at that time).

Mamashack said:
So would EI still work well with liquid carbon? (Sorry Prairie!)

Yes, although the EI dosing method is designed to be used in conjunction with injected CO2, it can be used with liquid carbon too.  I have both an injected CO2 tank and a liquid carbon tank on EI dosing.

PrairieSunflower said:
EI dosing sounds complicated, I don't think I'd have the confidence that I'd end up doing that correctly.

Does easycarbo only have an effect when used along with a fertilizer?  I used to use it previous to using the JBL fertilizer and it had no effect (I had different plants mostly at that time).
EI dosing doesn't have to be complicated but it really isn't necessary for non-CO2 tanks. The main benefit of buying dry ferts is that they last for ages and so it works out very cheap in the long run.  I don't think there's any reason to spend money on dry ferts until you've used up your current supply of pre-mixed fertiliser.  If you run out of ferts again and find it's too expensive to keep buying branded bottles then dry ferts would definitely be worth considering as a cheaper option.  If you decide you want to save money that way, PM me and I can help you to work out exactly what ferts to buy and dose.

Yes if you are adding liquid carbon then you must add other ferts as well.  A plant needs different nutrients in order to grow and if any of the nutrients are deficient then growth will be limited.  The main nutrient required for plant growth is carbon.  Other major (or macro) nutrients are NPK (nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium).  Smaller quantities are needed of other materials such as iron, magnesium and other trace elements (the micro nutrients).

Most common branded fertilisers do not contain nitrate or phosphate.  They usually only provide potassium and trace elements.  For lightly planted tanks it often doesn't matter because there will be sufficient nitrate and phosphate available from fish waste, fish food and the water supply to support plant growth.  For more heavily planted tanks you might have to add extra nitrate and phosphate as well.

I try to avoid using liquid carbon in tanks with shrimp, especially if you are breeding them.  The shrimp don't like it and it can reduce numbers of baby shrimp.  If you're not worried about breeding your shrimp then I would recommend you start using liquid carbon alongside your existing fertiliser and see how it goes.  I'd try to build up tolerance of plants and shrimp slowly, starting with a half dose for the first week, three-quarter dose the next week and finally moving on to full dose.

I've been using EasyCarbo and Profito in my 60L - I have amanos and assassin snails in there and they are absolutely fine. Daize was kind enough to advise me when I was confused and I dosed lower % than the bottles recommended but maybe took a bit longer to increase the %.
Am now on full strength additions and I found a baby assassin snail (so thrilled!!!) today so it clearly hasn't affect them either.

Glad to hear it, Mama!

I've also started dosing EasyCarbo in my tank with Amano shrimp in an effort to combat algae.  The shrimp seem unaffected so far.  I'm cautious about irritating them because I know shrimp can be sensitive to glutaraldehyde but I've seen no signs of discomfort such as zooming around the tank or trying to escape.

I do double-dose EasyCarbo in my non-shrimp tank though and I certainly wouldn't do that with shrimp present.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back