Ferrets

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

simonas

stuck between a rock and a fish tank
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
I am setting up my old coal shed in the back yard for ferrets. I;ve never kept them before but my mate has one. I want a couple but just want some owners experience tips rather than what I read on the care sheets

Simon

I don't know about them but just don't let them near your reptiles if you still have them lol :crazy:

i had two years ago, they are sooooooo lively and need lots of fun things to do, they are in and out and up everything! i got mine when they were very young and did lots of handling altho never really got them out of biting and trust me when they bite they HURT! its sometimes hard to get them off! my boyfriend used to take the male rabbiting (i didnt go i wouldnt have enjoyed it) but i think that also kept the male kind of fierce. also you should get females done if you arent breeding them as i think i remember they can get a disease otherwise. they had a long wire run outside with a hide box at the end that they used to fill with bones and ripped up blankets. they smelled quite strong always and loved to sleep in my fur (fake) lined jacket. one night they got out and were found frightening the life out of storm our horse. another night after an argument my boyfriend let them go free to spite me (i left him!) i miss having them they are so much fun. i wouldnt buy from a farm again tho i'd def get rescue ferrets

Yeah if you dont breed the females then they will get cancer, no idea why they just do.
As for biting, if they are handled enough they wont bite, we have found that a good pair of leather gardening gloves at first until you gain the confidence and know they wont nip you, works best.
Our close friends work their ferrets but its generally only the females that work and they keep the males to "service" the females, and they shouldnt be fierce.Also if they bite they do not let go if they do let go then its a nip.
They are awesome pets, sooo funny to watch playing. Having more than one is even more funny as they will all curl up together in one big ball. I'd easily have more if i didnt live in a flat.
They will need their enclosure VERY well made as they are the best escape artists and will get out of the tiniest holes and can open doors, its best to padlock to keep them in. :shout:
Our last ferret was from a family that worked them and honestly as long as your perfectly happy that they are well kept either should be fine.
We know a really good ferret rescue near the lincoln city area if your not too far away.
If you need any more info the ferrets for dummies book is the best one out there.
If you have any more qu let me know, we've had them for the last 11 yrs.

Hi thanks for the reply

I got 6 off a guy last week who was giving them up due to ill health, they are absolutely amazing creatures so funny to watch but christ are they lively and mischievous. I have bitten off more than I can chew with the 6 so am going to rehome 3 of them and keep three. They are all males anyhow so no problem with the jills.

They certainly do bite I made the mistake of going out with my bare feet and they started buting my toes, they think there playing but they have sharp teeth.

Great creatures I;m definately a big ferret fan now

great! i saw the poster for rescue ferrets in the vets this week and wondered whether you went for it. 6! you must be mad :) +1 for pics

ha ha yeah 6 however that is now 5 as rehomed one today I;m rehoming two more and keeping three. it'LL BE EASIER CLEAning then as well cos boy do they poo!!

I cant do pics as I do not have a pc anymore just using the works computer where I cannot upload and my phone :(

I have a friend that could bore you to death with everything you could ever wish to know or want to know about them. :lol:

I have one ferret, She is a spayed and decented female. I bought her at pet supplies plus, and she is deaf as a door nail... But doesnt effect her much, she is still a ball of energy, she goes camping with me, and loves to go on walks, all though she much rather be carried!!! :lol:

Hey! Is there anything you want to specifically? I could tell you 101 things about them, as I have kept plenty and am a huge fuzzie fan:)

heres one of the blighters I;ve rehomed 3 so got the 3 I wanted to keep now which is better for them and me
IMG00191-20110826-1831.jpg

I'm interested in these as well but keep forgetting to look up on them. Would you trust it roaming your house & stuff though? My only worry would be if they really smell? did you find any good info on them?

They are great to keep and the older two are very tame and follow you round like a dog. I wouldnt trust them in the house as they poo a fair bit, I know you can litter tray train them but these seem to poo after having been when woken up, plus they do pong a fair bit

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back