Ferg's Tanks

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

A little update to end the year, and hope to gain some answers in to how I can make my tank half decent for 2012 :grr: ..

It's been around 18 months now since the big tank went tropical, and over those months I have probably spent a sum of money I dare think about on live plants and plant food, so you'll share my dismay when you see what it currently looks like:

S73F0383.jpg

The tank is now a mix of live plants to the foreground, and synthetic to the rear as I was sick of dying plants floating around the place. It would seem some plants are doing okay (and always have) and some just never manage to look alive. I've always gone for the less demanding, 'robust' plants but it would seem even these can't abide living in my tank.

S73F0436.jpg

My anubias (as shown above) are the only plants that I'd say looking healthy, and I'm pleased with the way they're growing into the redmoor wood..

S73F0410.jpg

Compare to the Amazon swords and such.. Leaves constantly dying off and new shoots are pale to the point of being see through from the start. I just cannot sustain a healthy sword or similiar plant (even the valias die off).

There was a time when I had all the crypts at the foreground, I really want to try and get this look again as it was dense and layered and created some beautiful colours to highlight the fish when swimming by, and crypts do seem to survive my tank a little better.

DSC_0664.jpg

I'm just unsure as to where I am going wrong. I dose liquid ferts as per the instructions and it never seem to sustain the plants, I'm not sure if I should increase the lighting or what - either way I'm finding my tank a bit of an embarrassment for when people visit and I've this massive aquarium with half dead plants inside :angry: and clearly I need to find the cause of my issues before I waste yet further money on filling it with plants.

Hello all,

Thought I'd add some new photo's as it's been a while now (although no real changes to either tank (not had the money too!! lol)).

The Barb tank 06/05/12

DSC_0224.jpg

The Big tank 06/05/12

DSC_0118.jpg

DSC_0132.jpg

DSC_0141.jpg

Bruce the Plec.

DSC_0184.jpg

DSC_0213.jpg

I must be absolutely MAD! :unsure: :/

I have just ordered these two pieces of Redmoor wood.

wood.jpg

I've been searching around for a few weeks now with a vague idea of the shape and mass I want to finish off my tank. I saw these and whilst the price was a lot more than I'd want to pay for...well, branches.. I just had to go for it! :D

DSC_0184.jpg

The concept I've come up with in my head is:

- Remove both resin ornaments (If they fit, I'll try and put them in the 65 litre and remove the hefty ornament that is in there.
- Move both the current Redmoor woods to the right side of the tank, slightly closer in proximity to create one bookend for the tank.
- Two new pieces to go on the left, the big piece lying flat and the skinnier piece propped up at the rear of the tank (possibly more centralised).

Then I'll figure out what live plants I want to have another crack at growing. I do think it is not a light issue, but a circulation issue that I've always had (after speaking to various people and comments on here), so I am contemplating buying an additional Fluval 405 (well, they're now 406's) and having the collection pipe on the left side as well as both out pipes on the left (it'd be quite a torrent coming out of that!)I'm hoping you can buy additional fittings to these filter pipes so that I can have the water stream out of multi outlets rather than one nozzle, hopefully to distribute the flow over the width of the tank.

Needless to say, these are big pieces of wood (one will be over a 3rd of the length of the tank) so they'll be taking up some space. The problem I've always had with my aquascape is this plateau affect, in which all the plants and ornaments have been at this same height across the tank. I'm hoping the new wood will give much needed dimension and height in that respect, then I can work on attaching some mosses and such to give some variety. Not only that, but I have felt the half/half look of the tank (with real wood one side and plastic ornaments the other) really goes against the benefit of a long tank and doesn't give a cohesive aquascape.

Long term changes, I do want to make the tank a Rainbowfish set up now.. with say 1 or 2 large shoals of a raspbora etc. That isn't to say I'll be getting shut of any of my current livestock, but I wont be adding to. I think after 2 years of having the tank it is time to get some fish that stand out from the aquascape. I've always considered Discus but I would speculate now that with a tank that will have such a dramatic layout that perhaps Rainbowfish would be better suited, that and I would ideally want a lively tank.

Either way, it will be a busy weekend coming when I figure out how to put these massive additions into the mix. :D

My wood arrived this morning, currently soaking in a plastic tub full of old tank water (Mother is made up to have that lying around in the kitchen, not :crazy: :fun: ). I'm really made up with the wood though, large dramatic pieces (I was a little worry they'd be too bulky but their bases are take up little space).

I've just ordered some new live plants (God help me!) I've primarily stuck to varieties of crypts and anubias as I know they do well in the tank. Also ordered some moss and some wire so I can attach some plants to the wood, although a part of me wants to keep them as plant free as possible to create that contrast between wood and the plants. I imagine the plants won't be here til the end of next week (if not week after) so I'll have to wait to put this wood in until they've come (no point upsetting the fish twice). I can't wait to get it set up again, mind. I hope this can finally be the last time I have to spend money on aquascaping.

As I may have previously mentioned, I think the next step is considering replacing the lighting and buying an additional external filter, and perhaps starting some C02 setup (although I've just ordered some liquid carbon with the new plants, so I'll see how that goes).

Haha, no worries.

Each night the fish get a little mix of mini floating pellets, flakes and a 'treat' for them to pick at afterwards. Also chuck in a couple of algae tablets for the Pleco and Siamese Foxes (although they all nibble on those) and then Occasionally they'll get bloodworm or live daphnia as a treat. I do sometimes think I over feed them but there are about 70 fish in there so by the time you've dropped some in and closed the lid it has already been wolfed down, lol. :blush:

hahah cheers, was just wondering because i think i will have a simmilarish stock when i get my 7 foot tank put in :rolleyes:

I was meaning to add the plants I've bought to that last post of mine.. :blush:

On order are:

(x1) Anubias Coffeefolia

(x2) Alternanthera Reineckii / Telanthera, Rosaefolia

(x3) Cryptocoryne petchii

(x4) Cyperus Helferi / Helferi

(x2) Cryptocoryne walkeri

(x3) Cryptocoryne willisii

(x1) Microsorium pteropus Windelov

(x2) Cryptocoryne blassii-special

(x3) Cryptocoryne retrospiralis

(x1) Hygrophila spec. Cherry leaf

(x1) Bolbtis heudelotii - Bunched

(x1) Cryptocoryne ciliata

(x2) Anubias afzeli

(x1) Echinodorous Parviflorous / Black Amazon Sword

(x3) Spiky Moss

(x1) Hydrophila Compacta

(x1) Hydrocotyle Tripartita

....I hadn't realised that I'd ordered that many plants! (Didn't seem a lot when I ordered them!) Best hope I fit them all in (and they better survive this time!) :crazy:

Work in progress :crazy:

Before:

DSC_0184.jpg

After/During (water still fairly cloudy):

DSC_0293.jpg

DSC_0281.jpg

DSC_0311-1.jpg

Still a lot to be done. The Redmoor wood is not co-operating in the slightest! Currently pinned down by most of the rocks that were spare :grr:
I had soaked it for 4/5 days prior to putting it in, I had hoped that would have been more then enough, but no. Some plants aren't planted yet, others
are probably not in final positions (although I'll do my best to avoid moving them again) I've had an attempt (of sorts) to tie moss and java fern to the
new wood. All in all I'm fairly happy with progress, it'll probably be another week before the main plant delivery arrives (My fish will no doubt be glad of a few
days without being bothered).

It is safe to say though, that even at this half-finished stage (barely half way there, I'd say) the fish are interacting with the tank and its space so much better. Before they all used to stay loosely huddled around the plastic plants to the middle and back of the tank. Now the wood is in they are swimming from one end to the other, sometimes in shoals and making use of spaces they never did before. So fingers crossed, once it gets established (and by God it better do after all this money) I'll have a tank to be proud of.

Okay, again for the before shot..

DSC_0184.jpg

after..

DSC_0370.jpg

DSC_0377-1.jpg

DSC_0423.jpg

May take some more tonight to avoid the reflections/sun glare.

Not posted on here for just over 4 months!

Nothing much has changed, lost a few fish (most notably the keyhole cichlid, although as it was re-homed I've no idea how old it was) and a couple of plants have pretty much lost the will to live (That, and my well placed moss on wood has virtually all been knocked off by Bruce whilst he swims about!).. Tried to take some photographs with my proper camera but as I've still yet to master it they're not the best quality.

Overview of tank, can see my Black Angel/Bertie on the far right (who wouldn't stay still for a closer shot) and Bruce remained hidden under the Amazon sword throughout (nibbling on an algae tablet).
P1020053.jpg

Bolivian Ram
P1020049.jpg

Both Rams
P1020012.jpg

Mr & Mrs Stripe
P1020041.jpg

Mrs Stripe again
P1020027.jpg

Goldie
P1020030.jpg

Casper
P1020018.jpg

Casper again
P1020017.jpg

I've never officially named my fish (with the exception of 'Bruce' the pleco.. I don't know why I have for these pictures, haha.

I've started considering how to redo the tank, I think I'll aim to do this next year, around March or April (The tank will be 3 years old by then, so probably a good time for serious reworking and replacement of hardware). I've been good in that I've not bought any fish for a few months now, it is time to let the tetra's live out their little lives and let the numbers go into decline, the Angelfish may have longer mind so I'll just have to let them have their time (sounds awful, I'm not waiting for them to die, rest assured!).

Mainly I just want to have a better planted tank (but then haven't I always) so I'm considering buying a T5 120cm 4 (or 6) light setup (providing it can fit comfortably within the lid) along with breaking into the c02 league and buying a JBL ProFlora that will be sufficient for my tank size. I just want to be able to keep more than crypts! haha. Think another external filter will be on the cards too, all depends on finances at the time. Like I said, I've had the tank for a couple of years now and when new people come around they always comment on the tank's size, I want them to comment on how nice it looks instead! lol.

Ferg! The tank looks fantastic! Those fish are looking really healthy as well :) Love the white angel and the bolivians especially.

Decor in the tank looks good to me, wish I could get plant growth anywhere near that. All I would say is loose the picture background and get a black one.

Wills :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back