Female Platy And Breeding Tank

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

omega59

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Hi. I setup my 10gallon tank for my one female platy. She will drop her fry within a week i would say. So, I am wondering is it necessary to have a filter in this tank with just the one fish? Once she drops I am placing her back into the main tank and her babies will follow in a trap. Thanks!

Yes, you need a filter; you can 'steal' a bit of media from the fiter in your main tank, so it'll be ready cycled. Don't move the media until you move the fish, or the bacteria will die off.

If your worried about fry geting sucked in, put the whole filter in a piece of net curtain or the net from one of those kid's fishing nets; people often recommend ladies tights, but that's too fine and clogs, impeding the flow of water.

whats the longest it can run before it becomes terrible for the fish> this isnt a permanent home for it. only for about another week.

Well, the fish will still be producing amonia all the time. If you don't want to add a filter (which I very, very strongly recommend you do) you'll have to control the ammonia yourself by testing every morning and evening and doing partial water changes if necessary, but there is always the risk the the ammonia will build up to dangerous levels while you're 'not looking' so to speak. This could cuase your fish permanent gill damge and would certainly kill off any fry.

You really ought to leave the fry in the 10g to grow on; there is just not enough water volume of movement in fry traps which leads to stunted fish. Growing fry nedd at least twice as much water as an adult fish of the same size. I personally would never use anything less than 10g for growing on.

Try a sponge filter. They are inexpensive and you dont have to worry about fish being sucked up. A lot of them even have a hollow inside so you can add some filter media. I use them in all my livebearer tanks and love them. I would also take the above advice of setting up the new tank with water from your current tank. Treat it as a water change on your normal tank and finish by topping off both with fresh water.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back