Female Kribensis is hiding.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Bellabella

Reaction score
I have a male and female krib, they're an established pair and have previously bred (so i was told), when i first got them the male took over a stone cave and the female a terracotta plant pot. Then the female joined the male, they were active and out and about all the time, then they seemed to stay in the cave all the time. Taking it in turns to come out, I assumed eggs. But now I'm not so sure.
She's moved out of the cave and for a few days she hung around the cave and became somewhat obsessed with a live plant that grows next to and above the cave, where as the male absolutely won't allow any other fish within a 6inch of the cave. She wouldn't leave the plant, seemed to be cleaning it, and constantly next to it. Today she's hiding at the back of the tank by the heater. She'll come out for a bit to the plant then back again.
I don't know if the males bullying her all of a sudden or if something is stressing her suddenly. She's only started acting like this for the past few days. She's eating still, when i feed them she comes to the surface with the other fish.

190ltr tank, they share with guppies, 2 baby BN plecs, cory catfish, 2 apple snails and a mystery shrimp that piggy backed in with my corys. I've not seen any other fish bothering her either. Nothing new added or taken away, temp has been a little up and down but not by much, due to the heat, but never dipped below 23 where it normally sits, highest it hit was 26. No other fish seems distressed, ill or acting out of the ordinary. No signs of injury or anything on her either.

I have a male and female krib, they're an established pair and have previously bred (so i was told), when i first got them the male took over a stone cave and the female a terracotta plant pot. Then the female joined the male, they were active and out and about all the time, then they seemed to stay in the cave all the time. Taking it in turns to come out, I assumed eggs. But now I'm not so sure.
She's moved out of the cave and for a few days she hung around the cave and became somewhat obsessed with a live plant that grows next to and above the cave, where as the male absolutely won't allow any other fish within a 6inch of the cave. She wouldn't leave the plant, seemed to be cleaning it, and constantly next to it. Today she's hiding at the back of the tank by the heater. She'll come out for a bit to the plant then back again.
I don't know if the males bullying her all of a sudden or if something is stressing her suddenly. She's only started acting like this for the past few days. She's eating still, when i feed them she comes to the surface with the other fish.

190ltr tank, they share with guppies, 2 baby BN plecs, cory catfish, 2 apple snails and a mystery shrimp that piggy backed in with my corys. I've not seen any other fish bothering her either. Nothing new added or taken away, temp has been a little up and down but not by much, due to the heat, but never dipped below 23 where it normally sits, highest it hit was 26. No other fish seems distressed, ill or acting out of the ordinary. No signs of injury or anything on her either.
Not too sure about the female but the corydora and plecos arent a great combo for a male krib that is guarding eggs! They'll destroy anything that gets too near them. And with a tank that small there's more chance of the dopey corys bumbling along onto the area and could well begin to stress him out if he's constantly having the chase them away.

Guppies and corys need completely different water parameters too.

Odd behaviour. They may have lost a spawn in the cave, and that can be a danger time for a pair. Each blames the other, or maybe each sees problems with the others viability as a breeding partner.
After failed spawnings, murders happen. In my experience, it's usually the male who dies, but anything can happen if they don't work it out.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back