Female koi betta not looking too good

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Lauren Olivia

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have an 105l tank (filter, heater, planted, conditions all perfect) with around 20 neon tetras and 5 female koi bettas. Four of them seem to be doing perfectly well, no fighting and all active, but one is not swimming around very much. I have watched it for quite a while but it is not being picked on at all, it will simply lay on the bottom and hide. At first I wasn’t sure if it was simply less active, but the fins seem to be a little clamped. It is still eating and swimming out a little when fed, but does not seem happy. Any ideas what could be wrong or what to do next?

I had a similar thing happen when trying a sorority tank. I kept losing them one by one and they did the same thing as your describing. Sounds to me like it is stressed and would give the betta her own tank if you can.

I agree it does sound like stress. Her own tank would help with plenty of hiding spots and plants. I also loss a few to stress before I knew what was going on. I have a shoal of neon tetra and would be very surprised if they were going after her. It maybe just too active of a tank for her. She could feel bullied since they do have to establish an order.

Last edited:
I have a small tank I have moved a male betta out of so I may put her in there. I just wondered if it could be something medical as I watch them quite a lot and as they were establishing the order it didn’t seem to be her that was getting picked on and she has only become like this in the past two days.

I have a small tank I have moved a male betta out of so I may put her in there. I just wondered if it could be something medical as I watch them quite a lot and as they were establishing the order it didn’t seem to be her that was getting picked on and she has only become like this in the past two days.

Cannot rule sickness out, however can say mine was not bullied either and had the same reactions. Her still eating is a very good sign and she should recover in a couple days if it is stress related. Hopefully your other four will continue to live in harmony but be prepared to have a backup home for them just in case. Sororities rarely work out even when they seem to be going well so don't feel bad if yours eventually doesn't.

Cannot rule sickness out, however can say mine was not bullied either and had the same reactions. Her still eating is a very good sign and she should recover in a couple days if it is stress related. Hopefully your other four will continue to live in harmony but be prepared to have a backup home for them just in case. Sororities rarely work out even when they seem to be going well so don't feel bad if yours eventually doesn't.
Okay, thank you for the advice

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back