Female Gourami with Cotton fungus growth

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

necro

Reaction score
Hello, i've had a pair of Dwarf Gourami for around 3 weeks, the male is perfectly fine, however the female around 7 days ago started growing a cotton ball like mass on her pelvic fin, i've put her in a QT and treated with Aquarium salt to help starve the fungus, and have also been using Pimafix, today i did the first round of water changing and used another dose of the pimafix, the 'cotton ball' has gone but she is left with 2 spine like....somethings, im really not sure if this is an area of her fin which should hopefully grow back fully or if the fungus is still there, i have tried my best with the pics but she can be jumpy, any advice much appreciated.

Attachments

• DSCF0197.jpg
    DSCF0197.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 99
  • DSCF0203.jpg
    DSCF0203.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Hi and welcome to the forum :)

I can't tell anything from the pictures. Can you take some more and check to make sure they are in focus?

Salt is normally all you need to treat fungus. Use 1 heaped tablespoon of rock salt for every 20 litres of water. If there's no improvement after 48 hours, increase the dose to 2 heaped tablespoons of salt per 20 litres of water. Keep salt in tank for 2 weeks.

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

I can't tell anything from the pictures. Can you take some more and check to make sure they are in focus?

Salt is normally all you need to treat fungus. Use 1 heaped tablespoon of rock salt for every 20 litres of water. If there's no improvement after 48 hours, increase the dose to 2 heaped tablespoons of salt per 20 litres of water. Keep salt in tank for 2 weeks.
took a video and got best frames from it, hope its better

Attachments

• G1.JPG
    G1.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 88
  • g2.JPG
    g2.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 88
Looks like threadworms. Do they look red and disappear when you stress the fish?
If yes, they are intestinal thread/ round worms.

See section 3 of the following link for treating intestinal worms in fish.

There is some redness on the skin, and they always seems to 'imitate' the pelvic fin, as in when she spreads it or 'opens it up' as it were, they follow in the same action, which had me thinking its parts of the fin that are damaged

Please stop using Pimafix...or ANY medication with "fix" in the name such as Melafix (Tea Tree Oil)

If you continue using it, your Gourami will suffocate due to the Indian Bay Tree oil destroying the labrynth organ that is a necessary part of Gourami (and all surface breathers) ability to breathe

Follow @Colin_T instructions regarding salt use...but throw all of your "fix" meds into the nearest bin.

Hello, i've had a pair of Dwarf Gourami for around 3 weeks, the male is perfectly fine, however the female around 7 days ago started growing a cotton ball like mass on her pelvic fin, i've put her in a QT and treated with Aquarium salt to help starve the fungus, and have also been using Pimafix, today i did the first round of water changing and used another dose of the pimafix, the 'cotton ball' has gone but she is left with 2 spine like....somethings, im really not sure if this is an area of her fin which should hopefully grow back fully or if the fungus is still there, i have tried my best with the pics but she can be jumpy, any advice much appreciated.
Hello! What ended up happening with this issue for your gourami? I’ve got the same thing happening on a side fin for one of my Corydoras. The cotton growth comes and goes but the white ‘bone’ remains!

Attachments

• 3456E095-28CF-42D6-9763-18AE70747813.jpeg
    3456E095-28CF-42D6-9763-18AE70747813.jpeg
    241.3 KB · Views: 42

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back