Female gourami chasing male gourami

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Aniket

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have male and female three spot gourami. First i added male then after two days i added female. At first male was chasing female little bit for 1/2 hr. And then they were swimming together most of the time without chasing. But now female is chasing male. What could be the reason?

post pics of them so we can be certain of their sexes.

LOL, he's being picked on by a girl :)

This may or may not end well if you leave them together. If you can post photos as Colin asked, we may be able to tell the gender. But this species, Trichopodus trichopterus, is one of the most feisty if not aggressive of the small/medium gourami. Males and even females have been known to terrorize not only gourami but other species in a tank, so keep watch on them. This might all lead to spawning, or a dead fish.

This may or may not end well if you leave them together. If you can post photos as Colin asked, we may be able to tell the gender. But this species, Trichopodus trichopterus, is one of the most feisty if not aggressive of the small/medium gourami. Males and even females have been known to terrorize not only gourami but other species in a tank, so keep watch on them. This might all lead to spawning, or a dead fish.
Male died. Male had pointed dorsal fin and female has rounder body and rounder dorsal fin. She nipped his caudal fin. And in morning he died.

Male died. Male had pointed dorsal fin and female has rounder body and rounder dorsal fin. She nipped his caudal fin. And in morning he died.

Given the species and your info, not at all a surprise. Now you have more knowledge to move forward. :fish:

Given the species and your info, not at all a surprise. Now you have more knowledge to move forward. :fish:
This is new thing for me that female 3 spot gourami could become that aggressive.

This is new thing for me that female 3 spot gourami could become that aggressive.

This species is as I mentioned previously one of the most feisty/aggressive of the small/medium gouramis. I believe it was on this forum that we had a member with a female blue gourami (the varieties are artificial, all are the same wild species so behaviour is the same) that without question killed her other fish (non-gourami) and had to be separated into its own tank. It can happen. Male gourami are all territorial just as cichlids are, but the degree they demonstrate this varies with species, conditions and individual fish. But this is a trait of the group and must be understood.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back