Female bettas..

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

matthew12098

Reaction score
Can female bettas live alongside other fish (eg Guppies?). I've heard they can live in groups of female bettas, but don't know about living with other fish.

Its a gamble and honestly imo not worth it

Few risks with community bettas, even female.

Dropsy, having the food available to the other fish, a betta has less chance to have a controlled portion of food, and over eating can lead to problems with bloat and eventually dropsy which is nearly always fatal. And bettas are already prone to this issue.

Sudden aggression on tankmates, even a female betta can be aggressive. My girl cannot even be kept with shrimp, even larger ones like ghost and amano as she tears them apart.

Temperature, bettas need 78-82F temps and many community fish do better lower than 78, so finding that middle ground where no fish is kept at the extreme of their temp ranges can be tricky.

I’ve had luck with 9 pygmy corys with my male betta. He is very laid back, however he still likes to give them a good chase but he stops after he left his “territory”. I think it very much depends on tank size and temperament.

Sorry I’m late to the conversation but I would like to say, I think for the general recommendation that anything with bright colors and long, flowing fins are not a good choice. But I have a Betta that lives with guppies and platies. My Betta is young but really laid back, he doesn’t care at all about the other fish. There are Bettas that would attack those kind of fish though. In my opinion it all depends on the Bettas temperament and aggressiveness.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back