Female Bettas In A 30 Gallon?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Reaction score
Hey all. Its been a long time since I've been a member of the betta community, but in a few months I may be able to rejoin, seeing as my dad might be giving me his 30 gallon tank, and I am thinking of stocking it with female bettas (along with plecos).

In all honesty I want the tank to mainly feature plecos, but I think I need at least a few mid- and/or upper-level fish, and female bettas might be really interesting. I am planning on having lots of caves, plants, and hiding places for both the plecos and the bettas.

Could or would this work? If so, about how many bettas should I get? I am still thinking about how many and what kind of pleco I want to get, but I would really like a rubbernose pleco if I can find one, and I will most likely get a clown pleco. I also might get another BN pleco if I find a nice one. Basically we are looking at 3-4 small plecos, and then howevermany female bettas.

Thoughts, suggestions, advice?

hm it really depends on the number of plecos you want and of course the potential sizes of them. following the 1" per gallon rule, lets say 4 plecs of 4" each would already mean 16gallons gone. from here you could only add around 4 to 5 more female bettas. that of course is imo.

Sounds perfect- female bettas get along fine with plecos. They get along with each other best in groups of 6 or more, which your tank should be able to handle.

Female bettas are the most interesting fish I've ever kept in a community tank. They develop a "pecking order" and it's really fun to watch them interact. They are also very intelligent and curious, and many of them are just as colorful as males! They're really underappreciated, so it's always nice to see someone interested in them. :D

Hey what plecos you thinking? They get very big and are crap machines, I would go with bristlenoses to be honest

Thanks everyone. :)

Hey what plecos you thinking? They get very big and are crap machines, I would go with bristlenoses to be honest

Not all plecos get very big, and of course I would stick with the smaller species like BNs. I am considering clown plecos and rubbernose plecos, though I am still researching different species. I certainly won't be getting any of the larger species like sailfins or commons!

If you get one rubbernose, one clown, and one bristlenose, then you could have 4 or 5 females. However, I'm not sure that a 30 gallon is large enough for 3 diff plecs. Yes, I realize that they are the smaller ones, but does a 30 gallon have enough space at the bottom for all of those bottom dwellers to have their own territory? I'm looking at my 29 gallon tank and I'm not sure I'd risk it. But, then again I don't know a lot about plecs. You may want to ask this in the pleco/catfish section, too.

If you get one rubbernose, one clown, and one bristlenose, then you could have 4 or 5 females. However, I'm not sure that a 30 gallon is large enough for 3 diff plecs. Yes, I realize that they are the smaller ones, but does a 30 gallon have enough space at the bottom for all of those bottom dwellers to have their own territory? I'm looking at my 29 gallon tank and I'm not sure I'd risk it. But, then again I don't know a lot about plecs. You may want to ask this in the pleco/catfish section, too.

I am still researching the plecs to see how much territory each needs, and I will post in the catfish section and see if my plan gets a thumbs up or not, and will adjust accordingly. The clown pleco's profile suggests a 25 gallon for 3, and the rubbernose's profile says that a minimum tank size is 10 gallons, suggesting that it dosen't need more than the footprint of a 10 gallon as territory. I didn't see anything suggesting that they are overly territorial. I will be sure to get my stocking list approved by the catfish forum before getting the plecs. :good:

Sounds perfect- female bettas get along fine with plecos. They get along with each other best in groups of 6 or more, which your tank should be able to handle.

Female bettas are the most interesting fish I've ever kept in a community tank. They develop a "pecking order" and it's really fun to watch them interact. They are also very intelligent and curious, and many of them are just as colorful as males! They're really underappreciated, so it's always nice to see someone interested in them. :D

I agree the betta girls are sooo much fun.
I have 3 but I was adviced not to put them together in a 10 gal. What do you think ?
L

really the more you have the betta (bad pun but had to do it lol) - when there's more fish to develop a pecking oder the agression levels out. I find it's better to slightly overstock using the one inch per gallon rule and keep up with water changes/over filter the tank.

Female bettas really are fantastic.

I am probably going to be getting a larger tank soon, either 55 gallons or 95 gallons, and as much as I have always wanted an oscar, stocking with a bunch of female bettas would be really cool, too, I think. Somewhat unusual, too, wouldn't it be? I don't think I've heard of many (actually, any) larger tanks stocked with female bettas. Its a pity I can't do both, but I wouldn't dare put an oscar with bettas! :hyper: Or danios, my other love...

Decisions, decisions... :D

I wouldn't put them in with an oscar but a huge sorioty of girlies in a huge tank is a good idea ! I have a 66 gal with female bettas in and it's lovely!

I think it's an awesome idea myself! I love bettas! I'm doing it with a 10 gallon sometime in the near future. Now off to the internet to price tanks!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back