Female Betta Tankmates? Similar Fish?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

swimshady

Reaction score
I am thinking about getting a 10 gallon tank. Iā€™m still fairly new to the hobby as Iā€™ve only had my first and current male betta for around 5 months. He is in a heated/cycled/filtered/ planted 10 gallon with one nerite snail. While he is a healthy boy heā€™s also a very aggressive one(especially when compared to my SOā€™s veiltale male). My betta refuses to let anything else but my nerite live peacefully with him. This has has caused me to rehome my cherry shrimp (which was expected) and my mystery snail to a 3.5 gallon tank as to avoid being eaten.

This has unfortunately crushed any of my dreams of having tank mates. I plan on buying another 10 gallon but I would like to have a female betta. If possible, what are some suitable tank mates for a female betta in a 10 gallon that wouldnā€™t have too much bioload.

Are there any fish suitable for a 10 gallon that has the same character that I love so much in betta? Any general tips would be welcomed!

(also I regularly test my water parameters, know to quarantine new fish and plants, and know to cycle my tank before adding any fishā˜ŗļø)

I laughed when you said Zebra Danios (who are amazingly fast) - way too fast to be caught by a betta and possibly more likely to eat the flowing fins off the beta. But I do believe your Betta would be at risk with a pack of fin nippers around his flowing fins.

I used to have 7 zebra danio's, now I have one. The first fish killed by my so-called "peaceful" zebra danio's was a stunning Dwarf Blue Gourami and they ate all his fins off - I couldn't save him and euthanized him. Then one or two of the Zebra's systematically killed all the other Zebra fish - looks like chunk of body removed. I moved the two left to a little 5 gallon tank and they were fine with each other until I accidentally crushed one after dropping a da*n tank cover on him. Then there was one. I'm getting an order in of a bunch of new fish (too many) and need to offload some of my small fish to the small tank so I think (in fear) of moving my beautiful Harliquin Rasboras (6) and maybe even my 5 Cherry Barbs as well. The zebra's never touched those two species when they were all living together but I swear I will euthanize the Zebra if I find a dead fish in tank where the death looks like trauma or if I see him start that stalking behavior again.

So much for "PEACEFUL" fish (actually I think my Zebra is like the Jeffrey Dahmer of the fish world) - I don't recommend ANY fish to live with a Betta fish where their won't be issues - that's why I've never understood people who get them - I guess they are like a pet rock. Their fins have been bred to such lengths to get those long flowing fins they can't even swim well and need some resting places in the tank. Sorry poor lonely buddy.

A male Betta is certainly a solitary fish, it is not a community fish and should never be subjected to a community tank out of humane-ness if nothing else. So your experience swimshady is the norm, not the exception. Keep the male alone, he is worth it, and he will be happy.

As for tankmates for a female Betta, the main issue here is the tank size. A 10g is a small space to fish. I am not a Betta expert, but from what other members have posted in the past, females are best in a hareem rather than solitary. And most of the other fish being mentioned cannot manage well in a 10g regardless of the female Betta.

A 10g is suitable space for a male Betta, or groups of "nano" fish. A trio of Honey Gourami can work. There are some of the even smaller and rarer gourami suited to the space, depending upon water parameters (GH and pH especially).

My dear friend Brachydanio rerio has been thoroughly demonized. I have never, and I repeat, never had anything other than a pleasant association with him. Let's talk about that nasty old Tiger Barb if you want to talk about nippers. The friendly little Zebe is nice if he has several of his kind to frolic with. Poor little thing. People talking bad about my little buddy.

I have a sorority in a 150 gallon pond for the summer, will bring them in for the winter. In the pond are 7 female bettas, 10 albino cory, 1 albino bristlenose pleco, and some ghost shrimp. It's heavily planted for places they cant see each other for awhile or can get away from each other.

They are somewhat aggressive with each other. They don't actually attack each other, but they will flare and chase. One day my red crowntail flared and rushed one of my others, who was paying attention to me in Hopes of food. The one paying attention to me completely ignored my red. Red reached her, stopped, looked confused, backed up and did it again... 4 times. It was funny. I've read once in awhile you get a completely aggressive female and she can't be housed with others, just like males. If you get one like that you need to be ready to seperate her.

On another note, some males are passive and can be in community tanks A few years ago I had a Male blue crowntail who was passive and lived in a tank with cories, shrimp and 2 female Bettas. Heavy planting is needed when you mix bettas with others.

They all just have their individual personalities and you have to remain aware.

I am thinking about getting a 10 gallon tank. Iā€™m still fairly new to the hobby as Iā€™ve only had my first and current male betta for around 5 months. He is in a heated/cycled/filtered/ planted 10 gallon with one nerite snail. While he is a healthy boy heā€™s also a very aggressive one(especially when compared to my SOā€™s veiltale male). My betta refuses to let anything else but my nerite live peacefully with him. This has has caused me to rehome my cherry shrimp (which was expected) and my mystery snail to a 3.5 gallon tank as to avoid being eaten.

This has unfortunately crushed any of my dreams of having tank mates. I plan on buying another 10 gallon but I would like to have a female betta. If possible, what are some suitable tank mates for a female betta in a 10 gallon that wouldnā€™t have too much bioload.

Are there any fish suitable for a 10 gallon that has the same character that I love so much in betta? Any general tips would be welcomed!

(also I regularly test my water parameters, know to quarantine new fish and plants, and know to cycle my tank before adding any fishā˜ŗļø)
Chances are you
I laughed when you said Zebra Danios (who are amazingly fast) - way too fast to be caught by a betta and possibly more likely to eat the flowing fins off the beta. But I do believe your Betta would be at risk with a pack of fin nippers around his flowing fins.

I used to have 7 zebra danio's, now I have one. The first fish killed by my so-called "peaceful" zebra danio's was a stunning Dwarf Blue Gourami and they ate all his fins off - I couldn't save him and euthanized him. Then one or two of the Zebra's systematically killed all the other Zebra fish - looks like chunk of body removed. I moved the two left to a little 5 gallon tank and they were fine with each other until I accidentally crushed one after dropping a da*n tank cover on him. Then there was one. I'm getting an order in of a bunch of new fish (too many) and need to offload some of my small fish to the small tank so I think (in fear) of moving my beautiful Harliquin Rasboras (6) and maybe even my 5 Cherry Barbs as well. The zebra's never touched those two species when they were all living together but I swear I will euthanize the Zebra if I find a dead fish in tank where the death looks like trauma or if I see him start that stalking behavior again.

It's a little risky, but you can try making a Betta sorority, where you have 4-6 female Betta in a tank. You can use the side-by-side method in which you place the female Betta's cups (if purchasing by a LFS) and see how aggressively they react to the sight of he other Betta. If you try this, only get 4 or six to have even numbers to ensure that a single fish isn't picked on. Then you could get some Kuhli loaches, shrimp, and a snail or two... as long as the tank is heavily planted. If you go with the sorority plan, make sure to read up more on it than the info on my post :)

If no sorority,

F Betta, 6x Kuhli Loaches, 6x Chili Rasbora

Would be good :)

It's a little risky, but you can try making a Betta sorority, where you have 4-6 female Betta in a tank. You can use the side-by-side method in which you place the female Betta's cups (if purchasing by a LFS) and see how aggressively they react to the sight of he other Betta. If you try this, only get 4 or six to have even numbers to ensure that a single fish isn't picked on. Then you could get some Kuhli loaches, shrimp, and a snail or two... as long as the tank is heavily planted. If you go with the sorority plan, make sure to read up more on it than the info on my post :)

If no sorority,

F Betta, 6x Kuhli Loaches, 6x Chili Rasbora

Would be good :)
The OP is planning a 10G. This will not work in such a small tank.
One betta and no other fish. A nerite snail and some shrimp would be fine but no other fish.

I've seen it work plenty of times, and the tank can definitely support some more small fish.

Something small and fast that can stay out of her way. Maybe 6 or 7 Zebra Danios.
Danios really need more room to swim than a 10G can provide. I mean no offense but a 10G tank is really worthless except for a betta or QT tank. Donā€™t get me wrong, my first was a 10G too but I was so limited with it that I ditched it in a few months. One of my bettas call it home now. I would suggest a 20G long as the very smallest tank to start with.

You can definitely have him in a community tank, but you just need to be cautious of what he's mixed with. A 10 gallon is a little small though, to mix him with others. If you went something a reasonable amount bigger, it'll be fine.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back