Female Betta In Community Tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

OneOnion

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I was wondering if I could put one female betta in a 10 gallon community tank. Has anyone here ever done it, and how did it turn out? What other fish were in there?

females are just as aggressive as males. The only thing that i could think of that would fit in with it would be corys and platies. you could also get like 6 females and have a sorority.

i had 3 females in a community once. they were ok with the other fish, but the male killed them.

they can be as agressive yes, but it COULD work, males can live in a community so i cant see why females cant. just be prepared to act if it doesnt work

I find that females are about as aggressive with other species as the males. With that said, one of my males live with my endlers in a 45 gallon tank and another lives in a typical community situation in my 120 gallon tank. I have not found that my fish have any of the problems that I find so many people cautioning about in a typical Betta forum. They are generally good citizens in a normal community. The only caution I would give is that Betta splendens do not swim as well as many other fish so they can quickly become victims when it comes to living with nippy fish.

Hm... So what would you think would be easier: A tank with 6 females, or a tank with 1 female and other fish? See, this is my first, well, second tank, and I don't want stuff to be too complicated.

A 6 female sorority can be a bit of a challenge because the first thing they will do is try to establish a pecking order. Unfortunately, the last fish in the group will suffer at the whims of the others. I would instead try to establish a single female with only peaceful tank mates.

it all depends on what you want to do.

i cant 100% give advice on females as thats a new one on me, and am working towards it myself.

if you go for a community tank, add the male betta LAST. he WILL be aggressive if he is put in first.

i have neons, minnows, harlequins, guppies, endlers, cories and plecs in with my betta and there is no issues AT ALL between any of them.

I currently keep one female in a 65 litre tank with corys, neon tetras, shrimp and frogs. They all get along really well. I also used to have 9 females in that tank (minus the frogs) before the great columnaris incident, and that was absolutely fine as well. However, the females can be just as surly as the males so I can't promise that it would work for you.

yep, all together, sometimes the male guppies fight but thats over the females :unsure:

i have ALWAYS had male bettas with my community and only had issues ONCE as i put him in first, so he had made it his terratory

it all depends on what you want to do.

i cant 100% give advice on females as thats a new one on me, and am working towards it myself.

if you go for a community tank, add the male betta LAST. he WILL be aggressive if he is put in first.

i have neons, minnows, harlequins, guppies, endlers, cories and plecs in with my betta and there is no issues AT ALL between any of them.
Cool. Actually, I was thinking of having a female betta in the community tank. But I'll still be sure to add her last. Anyway, I've decided to do the 1 betta in community tank thing instead of the 6 bettas. Here's a stocking list I've come up with:

10 gallon
1 female betta(a nice double tail, probably)
3 platies(Heard they do o.k. with bettas)
6 harlquin rasbora (thanks for suggestion, Haych)

If anyone has any objections or suggestions to make the stocking better, please say so.

Also, will 3 male platies be ok together, or do I have to do 1 male 2 female? I don't want to deal with a billion fry swimming around x__x

wow with neons and guppies? thats next to immpossible!

It is not nearly as unusual as you might think, Hihi. Many of the smaller fish are fine with betta splendens including guppies.

male platties are good if you dont want babies, just make sure they dont turn to girls! (alot of the time LFS get it wrong)

you MAY be ok to try 2 or 3 females.

just curious, why do you want a female instead of a male?
I assumed they're less aggressive, since they could live with each other unlike male bettas, and also there's a less chance of their fins getting ripped by other fish because their fins are less flowy.

Does anyone else think I could have 2-3 female bettas in there instead of just one, like Haych suggested?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back