Female Betta Attacking Male!

WhoFlungPoo

Reaction score
I recently moved my Bettas (male and female) from simple fishbowls to an undergravel filtered, divided 2.5 gal aquarium. They have been together for about a week now and I observed the typical flaring of the male and the disinterest of the female. However, today I had just changed the water, rearranged the decorations, and stepped away from the tank to make a phone call. As I was on the phone I noticed some activity going on in the tank. I took a closer look and witnessed my female had somehow grabbed the tail of the male and was yanking on it through the barrier. I quickly run over and I guess my movement startled her enough so she let go. I examined the male for injuries but he looks ok. Has anyone ever see anything like that before with a female Betta? I haven't mated them yet (i may or may not depending on their behavior with each either) but could this frisky behavior have any sexual meaning behind it? Or is she just attempted to be dominated over the shared tank? The male doesn't even have a bubble nest so I tend to think it was the later.

your thoughts?

-Greg

From what i've read, sometimes the female doesn't tolerate the males and vice versa. She sounds like a feisty little thing, if i were you i'd put some plants up around the barrier on both sides to sorta block the view of each other then gradually remove them or move them so they can see each other. If no improvement i wouldn't try spawning, might have to find a more docile female or new pair all together

btw wicked handle :lol: :hyper:

Female bettas are not your run-of-the-mill passive females.... they are full of vim and vinegar and she's probably just trying to let him know who's boss. I don't understand what type of divider you are using, though, that she can grab him through it. Am I missing something here?

If he's not evening working on a nest, he's not ready to breed. And at about a gallon each, there's not much room for them to avoid each other.

The type of divider I am currently used came with the tank. It is full of small rectangular holes so water can easily pass through (but no fish). But as I have recently discovered, it does not stop all of the hanky panky that may go on in a small Betta tank. I'm going to try adding plants (thx dixie) and see if that will stop the trouble behavior.

-Greg

The plant idea is just a quick fix, it may or may not work. In the meantime i'd look into getting another tank. Look at it as an investment. Try to get a ten gallon then split it in two dividing it, and the smaller one can be used for spawning and for your fry if you ever do breed, or a hospital tank just incase :)

I agree. You need a larger tank. The more "stuff" you put in there to keep the bettas separate, the less space they'll have to move around. And then they'll get even more disgruntled. Males don't require a lot of swimming space, although they like to have a lot of room available. It also keeps their finnage from being torn. But females seem to like a lot of room to swim around, enjoy chasing each other (other females) and like a wide territory to explore.

my isabel seems like an alpha female betta.

she nipped peaceful's tail fin twice; he's a boy.

i love her though. i love all my babies.

:blush:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back