Female Betta and Male Betta

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Motus_rebellium863

Reaction score
So I have a question. I've had my male betta and female betta in the same tank for over a month and they always seemed at peace, no fighting none of that. But just minutes ago I heard a noise coming from the tank and saw her chase him. To me it's been normal since she would usually stop after a few seconds. But when I looked again she was under him and it looked like she was biting him or hanging on to him or something. And I want help as to figure out what it means since it's the first time this ever happens to me.

Males and females should not be kept in the same tank except very briefly for breeding. It is unusual for them to co-exist for as long as a month, but now you are seeing why they shouldn't be kept together. They should be separated asap. If you don't have another tank, you need to put a divider in the tank or move one of them into one of those fry containers - with a lid as bettas can jump - until you can get another tank.

If you leave them together, it won't end well I'm afraid. The female has turned on the male once, and she'll do it again.

I totaly agree with @essjay you need to separate them before one kills the other. Females can be kept together with care (Betta Sorority) but males need to be alone. No other females or males.

I agree with the others

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back